Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Go Today Tours?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/go-today-tours-604315/)

trishready Apr 1st, 2006 12:14 PM

Go Today Tours??

I know most peoples' opinion of tours is not good...but....has anyone used Go Today Tours Individual Tour, particularly the tours in France, and the UK???
Was it a good? Dependable?
With airfare so expensive, sometimes it's worth going with the tour company and adding on at the end.

trishready Apr 1st, 2006 12:41 PM

ttt

Kristinelaine Apr 1st, 2006 01:15 PM

If you are talking about the general package deals that Go Today offers, I would say they are often a good deal. I have used them with some of the lowest price hotels and find those hotels are very basic. If you can move up a few levels, it might be better. I don't think of them as "tours" really, because you are totally on your own -- you just get a air-hotel package price which may be better than you can get otherwise. Not always, but sometimes. (I guess some of their "tours" are really "tours". I haven't experienced those.)

The biggest drawback I can see is that you don't have any control over what flight you are buying. If that isn't a problem for you, then I would recommend you take a close look at Go Today. An advantage is that you can extend the return date, travel around some more on your own, and get back to the original city for the flight home.

trishready Apr 1st, 2006 01:21 PM

Thanks Kristine....We would upgrade and extend the trip. How do you find out what the flights are ahead of time, before you book?? There would be 5 of us (3 teens) and I wouldn't want a crazy flight with lots of stops. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Fidel Apr 1st, 2006 03:49 PM

It's not true that you don't have any flight options -- online I saw many choices for times, upgrades, etc. If it's not clear or doesn't come up for your particular interest, call them on the telephone! Of course airfare is not necessarily cheaper with a tour so shop around.

Kristinelaine Apr 1st, 2006 03:51 PM

I don't think you can find out before you book, but possibly I am wrong. If someone else knows about this, please post. To make sure, you could email or call Go-Today to find out.

JeanneB Apr 1st, 2006 05:43 PM

I've looked at that site many times. They do have some good deals.

I've always wondered: if a good hotel is listed at an unusually low price, will we end up in the broom closet next to the elevator shaft?

Does anyone know if these low rates correspond to inferior rooms?

Nikki Apr 1st, 2006 06:22 PM

I have bought air/hotel packages from Go Today twice. At the time, you couldn't see the flights until you paid for the trip. But I believe the site has been upgraded recently and you are supposed to be able to choose your flights. This would be a great improvement.

I was very pleased with the hotel rooms I got through the packages and never felt like we were given inferior rooms because we had purchased through Go Today. Once I had a room with some problems in Rome and after I mentioned it, I got a better one with no problem.

Kristinelaine Apr 2nd, 2006 04:49 AM

Thanks, Fidel and Nikki, for up-dating my knowledge about Go Today. I haven't bought from them for awhile. This is really a great improvement, because it was always a little scary to buy a package not knowing about the exact flights.