Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Go-Today Hotels in London - Bayswater or Kensington

Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:36 AM
Laura

Hi All - I am planning to book a trip to London in Nov through Go-Today and could really use some hotel recommendations. I am a female travelling solo for this trip, so convenience to major attractions and a safe
location are my top priorities. I'm also hoping to stay in a fun area that has some good restaurants and pubs not too far away so that I won't have to travel too far by myself at night. The hotels on Go-Today that are in my price range are the Thistle Kensington Palace, Plaza on Hyde Park, The Byron, and the Thistle Kensington Park. They are either located in Kensington (on Kensington High St) or in Bayswayter (not far from Hyde Park or Kensington Park). Any suggestions on what area and hotel in which to stay would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laura

Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:41 AM
Karen

Do a search on these board either by hotel name or go-today.com. There are lots of discussions about these packages already.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:01 AM
Merilee

Laura, on my last trip to London I stayed in the Bayswater section and I liked it very much. There are many restaurants and shops including a mall named Whiteley's. It's a lively and diverse area and I always felt safe. You will also be right near 2 underground lines. There's even an ice skating rink in the neighborhood. If you're there on November 5th don't miss one of the celebrations or bonfires in honor of Guy Fawkes Day.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:59 AM
janis

Laura - despite Merilee's good experience - Kensington (or even better, South Kensington) would be better for a single female than Bayswater. Both areas are safe - but the selection of shops, restaurants and pubs is better in Kensington. Most of Bayswater is fine - but parts especially as you get nearer to Paddington station are pretty iffy.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:09 PM
carolyn

Laura, check out the Adelphi Hotel on Cromwell Road. It is in South Kensington quite near the Glouster tube stop.