Reload this Page >

Go to SWITZERLAND or NOT???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 1997, 09:55 PM
Allison

We're arriving in Milan, then onto Bavaria, and want to split up the train ride, should we go to Lucerne or Zurich, or just skip it because we're only allowing 1 day and night there...We heard it's very expensive for even a so so place... We would also love info on Bavaria, Paris and Italy's main spots! Thanks

Old May 1st, 1997, 10:52 AM
Rockwell Ellenmarie

Lots of neat places you want to visit. how much time do you have? to you like in depth or quick do the check list of been there done that?
Lucerne is lovely. The lake makes the city very romantic. There is a Medival section with a wooden bridge that tells the history of a famous swiss battle.
Paris we spent a week in there christmass last, besides the big sites try the Hotel de Cluny Museum which has the Lady and the Unicorn Tapestry & lots o medival treasures in a house with a Roman Bath from acient times attached. For a gem go to the Cognacq-Jay this is a Mansion with art displayed as if the owners were still living in the House. There are Watteau,Miesesn, Limoge, Rembrant, you feel like Madame Dubarry will walk around the corrner to meet you.
And do not miss even though it is out of the way is St Denis Chatherdal. This is where from medival times to the Borbons (Marie & Louis ect)the Kings and Queens of France are burried. You take the Metro (St DenisBasilique/Chatillon-Mont rouge Line0 to the end of the St Denis line. The Basillica is a short walk from the station. This also where Peter Allbalard of the "was gelded and made a monk at St Denis" fame, is burried. He was the tutor of a medival princess Helosie and they fell in love and got caught. She got sent to the nunnery.
Have fun

Old May 2nd, 1997, 01:37 PM
Don

Go to Lucerne if posible. It is a lovely place and worth the time to visit.
Paris ia wonderful. Get a hotel out of the city, near a train station. It is easy to use, and you can travel all over the city on the subway. It is fast and cheap!

Old May 4th, 1997, 07:43 PM
Donna

Have been to Zurich (which a very nice city) and Lucerne. Highly recommend Lucerne. With the lake and the Alps in the background and the bridge - it is absolutely beautiful. Lots to see and do in walking distance (be SURE to see the Lion carved in the stone, can't think of the name at the moment). Beautiful buildings, a castle to wander around in (panoramic view of the town from here), a finucular, fabulous shops and restaurants. Menus are posted outside so you can select one in your price range. There is a map at the train station with all the highlights to visit. Literature inside.

Old May 23rd, 1997, 02:53 PM
marge

I've made several trips to both Zurich and Lucern and I'd vote for Lucern, as well. Zurich's a nice home base to travel around from, but just a so-so city. Lucern is gorgeous. Travel to Mt. Rigi (there are buses & a tram to the top), which overlooks Lake Lucern and drink some wine while soaking up the Alps. There's a restaurant and ski lodge at the top.

Old May 26th, 1997, 06:21 PM
CAROLYN

I SEE YOU GOT A LOT OF REPLIES BUT I HAD TO ADD MINE...ITS NO CONTEST---GO TO LUCERNE!! ZURICH IS REALLY NOTHING SPECIAL--A CITY--BUT LUCERNE IS BEAUTIFUL...AND ONE DAY IS FINE THERE. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A BOAT RIDE ON ONE OF THE FERRIES ON LAKE LUCERNE. ITS VERY SPECIAL. AND IF YOU WANT ONE MAJOR SPLURGE--THERE IS THE PARK HOTEL VITZNAU. MY HUSBAND AND I SPENT ONE NIGHT THERE AND STILL DREAM ABOUT IT! DONT PASS BY SWITZERLAND !!