Gluten Free in Provence

Search

Gluten Free in Provence

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gluten Free in Provence

Can anyone suggest a hotel of a good standard in the Provence region of France?

Many thanks

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:01 AM
ira

Hi L,

Your title and your question do not compute.

I suggest that you repost with "Provence Hotel" in the title.

Also tell us where in Provence.

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the laugh.."Gluten Free"?
That should be in the LRB Personals!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Unless you plan to eat only at your hotel, I don't see the relation to the title of your post and the question within.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Huh?
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

First time I used this board, so it's nice to get supportive messages!

We're going to Provence later this year and one of our party has a gluten intolerance, i.e. can't eat wheat, so no bread, pasta etc. Ideally we'd like to be around Avignon, but as long as we can find a hotel that will cater for this type of diet, we're flexible.

Any sensible help out there?
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 09:45 AM

I cannot help you on the gluten free diet thing, I suspect you are going to have to handle that yourself, it's just such a special request. Will you have a car? What price range do you seek? I really liked the Hotel Hermitage in Pernes-les-Fontaines which is fairly central for Provence and on a main road so easy for car trips. But no train station. It is very moderate price. They don't have a restaurant, so you'd be on your own to dine wherever you wishes in nearby towns/restaurants, which I enjoy doing. They do serve breakfast, but it's the usual stuff, your friend would have to choose accordingly.

I also had a very nice hotel on the outskirts of Aix I liked and they had a very good restaurant, the Mas d'Entremont
http://www.masdentremont.com

They are more expensive than the Hermitage, but also a very good location for those with a car (and impossible for those without, as it is outside town a bit). I guess you could write and ask about the diet.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Hi, Lifeman.

My husband and 2 of my adult children have celiac disease. We traveled to Normandy and Paris in June 2007, and are going to Provence June 2009.

I always look for B and B's that offer more than just pastries, juice and coffee. I try to find places that offer at least fruit and perhaps eggs. It is no fun for them to feel deprived as I am happily muhching on my croissant or baguette (and I really do not enjoy them if no one else is eating anything!) My family also bring gluten free crackers to breakfast so they can use some of the wonderful jams that are offered.

One of the places I selected to stay in the Luberon is Mas Perreal. It gets wonderful reviews here and on Trip Advisor. The owner, Kevin, told me he has quite a few requests for gf breakfasts. He asked me to remind him of our gf request a few days before we arrive.

Lunch on the go is not easy. No pizza slices on the run. But certainly, do-able.

We do not stay at places that offer a table d'hote. We are better off with a restaurant where we can order from a menu. While in Normandy and Paris, we found waiters to be knowledgable and most helpful. They were more than willing to make sure the gluten free meals were exactly that - gluten free. That is more than I can say for many places here at home.

My daughter (also gluten-free) brings gf pasta with her when she travels. Most places that serve pasta are more than willing to cook her gf pasta noodles and then top them with whatever she ordered.

I also packed lots of gf cookies, and other snacks for my husband last summer. We never took off in the morning without having a supply of some sort for him.

You may run into situations where your friend will have no choice but to eat the snacks he is carrying. But, he is probably used to finding himself in these situations.

When we took the Battlebus tour in Normandy, the tour stopped at some little stand that had great sandwiches and not much else. Out came the cookies and raisins for my husband.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Life -

It's not until I started running a B&B that I realized just how many dietary considerations there are out there !

As Kansas says, gluten intolerance is not that uncommon. I'd say you will be fine at most restaurants in Provence. The emphasis here is on vegetables, fish, lamb, olive oil -

You'll just need to be clear with waiters about your requirements. Most often there will be a good number of choices on the menu which fit the bill. And in addition, most restaurants can be quite accomodating and fix you something off the menu if needed.

-Kevin
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM

There are allergy and gluten free restaurant cards available in many languages on the net. Here is a link to a French version you could probably just print out.

http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-f...14-french.html

Old Jan 20th, 2009, 02:11 AM

If you do a forum search on gluten or celiac you'll find some earlier discussion of this topic.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 03:05 AM

Lifeman, welcome to Fodors! Sorry about the nigglers who are mostly very kind, helpful people as a rule, especially with newcomers who haven't quite figured out the system yet.

Restaurant dinners in France will not be a problem for your friend, especially if they print and carry some of the cards mentioned by nukesafe. Breakfasts and lunches are trickier which is why most celiacs travel with emergency food such as rice cakes, nuts, fruit and GF energy bars. If your friend doesn't have lactose intolerance as well, quite common for celiacs, they can explore the wonderful world of French cheese.

Renting an apartment rather than staying in a hotel or finding a hotel with some kitchen facilities is my usual practice. But, if it's a hotel of good standard you want for sure, don't hesitate to simply contact any that appeal and ask whether they can supply a gluten free breakfast. Most can and I've had very good luck doing this.

You can get more information for your friend by typing gluten free France in the search box. As a newcomer, you should know that this is a good first step in your travel research as most of your questions have probably already been discussed.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 03:29 AM

You say a hotel of a good standard; so assuming you mean at least 4 star, you should find enough choice at breakfast. Two star hotels in France often only offer bread and croissants for breakfast.

The choice of hotel shouldn't matter much for lunch and dinner, though, should it ? Unless you are planning to stay at a remote hotel with a restaurant (many French hotels don't even have one) and just hole up there all the time and relax, in which case you probably need to do some serious research (I'm sure there are charities who advise on this sort of thing) or just ask hotels you like the look of whether they can provide gluten free meals. IMO getting a vegetarian dinner in France is harder than a gluten free one !
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Agree that you need to ask but, if you eat plain fresh food, you should be fine. In France and Italy, this is not usually a problem!

I have allergy issues and went gluten-free for a year and we were in Aix-en-Provence during that time. I cheated a couple of times with the great bread but was ok taking my advice above.

Many of my health problems, and all of the emotional ones, abate in Provence and Italy!

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 04:55 AM

It should perhaps be noted that those of us who are coeliac (celiac) do NOT have the choice of going gluten free for a while - it is a lifelong requirement and "cheating" now and again is a really bad idea since it can lead to severe problems later in life. That said, it is perfectly possible to have a good time in France and eat gluten free too. Get your friend to try pharmacies and health food stores for gluten free bread and crackers if it is difficult to take them with you.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 05:08 AM

Didn't mean to sound glib Betty B.-maybe most people don't know about the restrictions folks with celiacs must address. Chefs do know (or should) that they don't even cook non-gluten foods in pans where gluten foods are used.

My allergic reaction is pretty immediate and gluten-free was helpful.

By the way, have you ever read that the glue in some envelope flaps has wheat?
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM

Don't think I've heard that! Sorry if I seemed a bit grumpy - I get a bit fed up now and again with the whole campaigning thing I do, trying to raise awareness etc - which even among chefs is not always that good, I'm afraid...
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Lifeman, Sorry to hijack your post here. Have you read "Gluten-Free for Dummies"?

I found it interesting. So many more products available thank heavens.