Gluten free in Croatia

Old Apr 6th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gluten free in Croatia

We are just starting to plan a trip to Croatia and wondering if anyone has any information/advice/experience on gluten free options. Restaurants, ice cream, grocery stores.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 03:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Gluten free travels in Croatia
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Wow thank you for the link.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 02:38 AM

The article linked above has some good information but the author spent three days in Istria and thinks the rest of Croatia is just like that, which it is not. Istria has a lot of Italian food tradition, because they were part of Italy in the not so distant past. Other areas of the country are different.

But you will find plenty you can eat no matter where you are. Bring the celiac card to show people, rent apartments so you can get the breakfast you like, and on the coast you will find gelato everywhere. it would help to know where you are thinking of going. There is a lot of grilled fish and meat so you definitely won't starve.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 02:45 AM

Croatians eat rice and potatoes, so it's not all bread and noodles in restaurants. It's good to carry a card to show a waiter because sometimes soups will contain bread, or stuffed foods will have breadcrumbs, etc.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

At this point thinking of Split as our home base and day trips from there. We are just starting to plan now. Yes I looked at the link and there wasn't a lot of information.
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 04:05 AM

Dalmatia will be pretty easy. Grilled fish, squid, meats.. and the peka which is a big dish filled with meat, chicken or fish and some vegetables and cooked in a fire. So good! There is really good gelato in Split and you will be blown away by how cheap it is There is a big Billa supermarket in the old town, I am not sure if they have a gluten free section but I'm thinking they probably do. There is also a fantastic open air market where you can stock up on vegetables and other things to cook in if you get an apartment there.
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rialtogirl. Yes we plan on renting an apartment so we can cook our meals. Any suggestions on location? I'm starting to look on VRBO but there are a number of different areas and I'm not sure which is best. Is the open air market in the old town and is it open every day?
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 07:33 AM

The market is just outside the old town. I have only stayed in hotels in the center so can't really help with your query. If you are renting a car make sure you've got something with parking.