Gluten-free dining in Western Ireland?

Jun 13th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Gluten-free dining in Western Ireland?

I posted another thread about day trip ideas around Doolin in County Clare for 10 days in early September.

We have two family members who are allergic to gluten (celiac disease) and I was wondering if anyone knew how prevalent gluten-free menu items were at restaurants or in grocery stores in western Ireland?!

Thanks!
Jun 13th, 2007, 12:47 PM

The Coeliac Society of Ireland produces an 'Eating-Out Card'and other information

http://www.coeliac.ie/
Jun 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM

anadyne, I'm interested in the answer to this too but, since the west coast of Ireland has the highest concentration of celiacs anywhere, I suspect there must be easy access to gluten-free foods in restaurants and grocery stores. I've found that there is much more awareness of celiac disease in the UK than in North America and usually bring GF food back that I can't find at home - like the lovely, thin, square Kallo rice cakes.
Jun 13th, 2007, 01:06 PM

If you go to the superquinn site - an irish supermarket - and click on online shopping and then put coeliac in the search box - it will give you a list of things fairly commonly found in supermarkets.

http://www.superquinn.ie/
Jun 13th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Superquinn is probably the best of the Irish supermarkets for special dietary requirements but they have almost no presence in the west of Ireland. Other supermarkets also cater for special requirements, but generally not quite as well. But you'll find stuff.

The better restaurants are generally tuned in to gluten intolerance, but if you go midmarket or downmarket you should instruct the server very firmly on your needs, and perhaps even have a word with the chef, especially about sauces.

You stand to lose a lot of value in B&Bs. No sausages, no black or white pudding, no cereal, no toast.
Jun 13th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Excellent, thanks for the info! We're self-catering, so we'll have a lot of freedom - I knew the UK had a high number of celiac folks, but wasn't aware there was a west Ireland concentration. That's great. Looking forward to seeing what's on offer in their stores.
Jun 14th, 2007, 01:47 AM

A lot of people are coeliac here as well always ask at a restaurant as they can adapt meals.
Jun 14th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Anadyne

My daughter is Coeliac, we live in Dublin, and we dont have huge problems with eating out, The best Supermarket for Gluten free Goods, is Tesco, they do their own range called " Free From" its good and they have a good range of products, bread, cakes, tarts, muffins, hot cross buns, crackers, pasta, etc.

You can also purchase the main GF brands in all supermarkets

Glutafin, Juvela, Kelkin, Dietary Special, etc.

I dont imagine you will have a problem in Doolin, just make it extremely clear when ordering, that the chef understands the condition.

I know its worrying travelling when your a Coeliac, if I can be of any help to you in any way, just let me know,

Good luck with your trip

Lucie x
Jun 14th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information! I knew the UK had a greater number of celiac folks, but wasn't sure if that translated to the restaurants. We're used to special ordering here to get a range of food and ordering carefully around the edges of menus. I've contacted the celiac society - thanks very much!
Jun 14th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Anadyne

Regarding Staying in B&B's , we always take some of my daughters own bread with us, plus a small box of her cereal, we ask the B&B owner if they mind her having her own GF foods, and just having tea, and juice from the menu, and they are very understanding, unless the B&B owner can guarantee you that she is willing to grill you bacon on tinfoil ( to avoid cross contamination) I wouldnt risk it, but I'm sure you are only too well aware of all that

Its amazing the things you become accustomed to when you have to eh?

Good luck
Jun 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM

My daughter, a frequent Ireland visitor is also a celiac sufferer and actually finds both better variety of glutin products in the large supermarkets and a much easier time eating out, particularly in pubs. The prevelence of celiac disease is so much greater in Ireland that most servers and cooks understand the limitations and are especially helpful. As well, the Irish tend to cook with less processed products. A good roast of the day or simple broiled fish with potatoes and veg
and no gravy is a feast for her. She brings her own cereal, hates the glutin free bread anywhere,often finds glutin free scones and flourless cakes in small bakeries and glutin free cold cuts, sausage and bacon in small butchers. Her only problems are the soups which all contain glutin. The web site for celiac Ireland is extensive and provides lists of restaurants and products.
I think you will report back to us that traveling with celiac in Ireland is a breeze!
Jun 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

I'll most certainly post back with our experiences - it sounds like it will be easier than it is here, actually.