Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Globus booked us on US Airways--should I get expensive travel insurance in case they aren't "flying". (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/globus-booked-us-on-us-airways-should-i-get-expensive-travel-insurance-in-case-they-arent-flying-234879/)

katie Jun 27th, 2002 08:21 AM

Globus booked us on US Airways--should I get expensive travel insurance in case they aren't "flying".

We've booked a tour with Globus to Germany this fall. When I learned our flights are all on US Airways I contacted the travel agent because I'm concerned about their current financial difficulties. At that time she assured me that Globus would take care of us. Yesterday she phoned to suggest that we purchase a different (more expensive) type of travel insurance that would cover bankrupcy of the airline. I'm not convinced that this wouldn't be a waste of money. What do the rest of you think??<BR>Thanks

Jake Jun 27th, 2002 08:28 AM

I'm thinking your travel agent will be getting a very nice commission on the more expensive policy.

x Jun 27th, 2002 08:43 AM

In all likelihood US Airways will file for Chpt. 11 protection, in order to survive. Theyre conserving cash now by defaulting on payments, and analysts say that is an indictaion of pending bankruptcy. But don't worry just yet. They also have an application on file for almost $1B in loan guarantees. They are essential to DC, so you can be sure Congress won't let them go under without some interim help. If I were you, I'd just hang in there and plan on flying with them. Buy the insurance if it would make you feel better, and if you can afford it, but I bet you'll end up flying as if nothing had happened. We have tons of reservations with this airline, all the way through 2003, and we're sleeping just fine. You have only to wait until this fall. My god, if they can keep Amtrak rolling year after year, they'll do the same for US Airways in 2002.

Mike Jun 27th, 2002 08:48 AM

My wife and I where to take a trip with Globus a couple of years ago and had flights on Northwest when they were on strike. We showed up at the airport and were put on British Air, no problem.

Christina Jun 27th, 2002 09:44 AM

I think it sounds like a gyp, but I don't know the legalities. It seems to me if you are paying Globus directly for package including airfare (which is what it sounds like) if the airline doesn't fly, legally it should be Globus' responsiblity to get you another flight and they should have the insurance, not you. What's the contract with Globus, say, I don't see why they should not have to buy it. I think your insurance should only have to be used if Globus goes out of business, not some airline they buy from. That's just my gut reaction, as I said, I don't know legalities but I would not like that one bit.

Dianne Jun 27th, 2002 09:50 AM

Katie, are you going on the Highlights of Germany tour? I did that one last Oct. and it was great!

katie Jun 27th, 2002 10:19 AM

Thanks for all the replies. It's a relief to know that I'm not way off base in thinking this isn't necessary.<BR>I also appreciate hearing the positive experiences with Globus. Dianne; we've booked the Munich, Salzburg & Vienna trip. Our daughter will be spending 1st semester in Munich and this tour starts and ends there. <BR>Thanks againto everyone--I'll be calling the travel agent later today.

travelingal Jun 27th, 2002 10:21 AM

I think you should always buy the best travel insurance. If something happens and your flight would be missed/cancelled your vacation could turn into a nightmare (this already happened to me). It's important to have a go between =)