Glen Affric: Best Short Walk

May 2nd, 2011, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Glen Affric: Best Short Walk

Hi,

We are going to Scotland in late September. We will fly into Edinburgh and then spend a few days each in Glencoe and Skye region. On our last day in Scotland we intend to drive from Portree to Inverness to catch a flight to London and we would like to stop by in Glen Affric for a short walk.

Tentatively, this is my itinerary for our final day in Scotland is as follows:

We plan to start about 9am and drive to Cannich with (i) a short 20-30 min stop at Eilean Donan Castle to take photos and stroll around a bit and (ii) probably a longer 60-90 min stop at Urquhart Castle to tour the castle and have our lunch at the café.

Understand its about 180km between Portree and Cannich and together with the two stops we may reach Cannich at about 2pm. We have a 8:50pm easyjet flight from Inverness Airport but we target to be at the Airport by 7pm to return the rental car and therefore we have time till at best 6pm at Cannich before we head to Inverness Airport. We would like to do a short not too strenuous walk in Glen Affric that we could fit in during our 4 hour slot and will really appreciate some suggestions.

Based on my research, we could probably fill in our afternoon with (i) Dog Falls and Coire Loch walk which seems to be at best 2.5 hours and then (ii) drive by Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin to River Affric car park and stroll around circular river Affric route for half an hour or so before driving back to Inverness Airport.

I will greatly appreciate if you could provide any inputs on feasibility/wisdom/improvement of this day or limited time we have in Glen Affric.

Thanks in advance.
May 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Scotland Experts, please guide !!!

Is Dog Falls best short walk in the region or should I trade it with walk to Plodda Falls. However does that fit in with our next stop at River Affric ?

Search this Thread