Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Glasgow World Championship Pipe Band competition question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/glasgow-world-championship-pipe-band-competition-question-294280/)

twina49 Jan 29th, 2008 06:50 AM

Glasgow World Championship Pipe Band competition question

We will be flying home from Glasgow on Saturday, August 16 at 3:30 p.m., and I just found out the World Championship Pipe Band competition takes place in Glasgow that day. I'm trying to decide if we can attend a portion of the event in the morning or if I'm nuts for even considering it.... Any thoughts?

billbarr Jan 29th, 2008 01:45 PM

twina49

Yes, I feel sure you could have perhaps an hour or maybe two at the championship in the morning provided you are there when it begins.

Also (or instead of), if you are in Glasgow at lunchtime on the Friday there is a walk-through of the bands right in the city centre.

That would at least give you a chance to see and hear them should you be uncomfortable about timings on the Saturday.

bill

twina49 Jan 30th, 2008 03:35 AM

Thanks, Bill - I appreciate the suggestion!

canyonjane Jan 30th, 2008 08:57 AM

As you are interested in pipe bands, I thought I would mention that the Edinburgh Tattoo will be held Aug. 1 through 23, 2008. I realize you wrote that you will be in Glasgow, not Edinburgh, but just in case it would be of interest to you, I thought I would mention the event. The official website is below:

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/

twina49 Jan 30th, 2008 01:58 PM

Canyonjane, Actually, we're flying into Glasgow on August 1 and staying in Dunblane for a week. While there, we already have tickets for August 6th for the Tattoo. I was able to get tickets the first day they went on sale and we're in the area facing the castle, which is exactly what we wanted!

Our second week will be on the Isle of Skye, but we planned on driving to Helensburgh to stay the night before flying home.

Thanks!

canyonjane Jan 30th, 2008 02:11 PM

Dear twina49,
Congratulations on your tickets to the Tattoo and facing the castle, no less! I envy you.

I, too, love the Isle of Skye, and by the way, when we were there quite a few years ago, there happened to be in the main town the Junior Piping Championships. As my sons were then ages 10 and 4, this was the perfect activity but believe me, they were among the very few children there. It was serious business indeed with contestants as young as 11 years old. We sat for hours transfixed watching the competition. It was unbelievable to see these young boys so seriously playing pipes and to realize that they have to keep moving very very slowly the entire time they are playing. Mind you, we're very interested in music, but if you are too, I would definitely look into the question of when are these Junior Championships on the Isle of Skye in August. I'll never forget that day!

Have a great time in Scotland!
Jane

noe847 Jan 30th, 2008 06:29 PM

twina49, what a great trip you have planned! Have you been to Scotland before? On several of our visits to Scotland we've been based out of Stirling, and I had a lovely day trip to Dunblane via the train. I'm still dreaming of the steak-and-black-pepper pies in Bennett & Sons butchers right in the middle of Dunblane. (The steak-and-Guinness ones were also delicous) They have won prizes in the meat pie championships. You might want to check out Allan Water Cafe in Bridge of Allan for their famous fish and chips and homemade ice cream. There's a wonderful specialty food shop in Bridge of Allan, but right now the name is slipping my mind.

Anyway, both of my daughters have played in bagpipe bands for years and they have competed in the World Pipe Band Championships several times. In fact, it looks like we will be back this August (probably staying in Stirling again).

Anyway, the week leading up to the Championships is filled with piping performances in Glasgow, including bands playing at George square each day at 11:00am. There are also piping recitals and concerts. You can find a schedule at:
http://www.pipingfestival.co.uk/
I would imagine more info will be added as the date grows closer. Although it sounds as though you will be on Skye that week, arriving in the Glasgow area on Friday, I post this in case anyone else is planning a trip around this time.

On Saturday August 16, events on the field start pretty early. There are several competition circles with pipe bands playing simultaneously. The championships for the higher grades are held in the afternoon, but there are preliminaries at all grades throughout the morning. Additionally, there are high level competitions for Highland dancing and heavy athletics. The field is scattered with food and drink vendors, a beer tent, and lots of merchandise and craft stalls. It's quite a spectacle and filled with people. I think you'd probably be able to spend a couple of hours there. The biggest problem would be parking close to Glasgow Green, if you have a car. The easiest thing would be to grab a taxi at the train or bus station (or from a farther parking lot).

Let me know if you have any questions about the Worlds. For those in the pipe band community there is no more exciting place to be than in Glasgow the week of the Worlds!

canyonjane Jan 30th, 2008 06:53 PM

Dear noe847,
Thank you for your post about the World Pipe Band Championships in Glasgow. I have never heard of this, but I certainly would love to go! Your post was both informative and personal. I plan to bookmark it.

A postscript to twina49,
When we were on the Isle of Skye, there was a "tattoo" in the main town that was a "down home" version of the Edinburgh Tattoo, but it was extremely interesting and picturesque. I'm quite sure we were the only Americans there. It was definitely an event for the locals, which made it even more wonderful for us to attend. I'll never forget my four-year-old son getting up and imitating a small group of Gurkhas with their tiny steps and their perfect movements.

The thought of that lone piper on the ramparts of the castle in Edinburgh has awakened my Scots blood. Oh to be in Scotland in August when the pipers are there!

twina49 Jan 31st, 2008 04:56 AM

noe847 - Yes, we were there in May 2005 and had a wonderful time!

Our schedule is to fly into Glasgow on August 1, drive to Comrie (we stayed there a week in 2005) and stay overnight at the Morven B&B. We'll head for Dunblane the next day, where we will be staying at Bridgend Court self-catering rental for the week. Trips to the Tatto and border abbeys are planned for that week. On August 10th we'll drive to Portree on the Isle of Skye in the No. 2 Lighthouse self-catering rental, where we'll stay until Friday before heading to Helensburgh and then home.

Thanks!

twina49 Jan 31st, 2008 05:03 AM

noe847, I checked out the piping festival web site (thanks for sending it) and it looks as if there are plenty of activities on Friday that will satisfy our needs, so we'll probably just do that rather than worry about getting in and out of Glasgow on Saturday.

Jane, Was there anything you particularly enjoyed seeing on Skye?