Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Glasgow to Edinburgh (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/glasgow-to-edinburgh-154759/)

maureen Feb 4th, 2002 09:40 AM

Glasgow to Edinburgh

Help!! A few days ago I asked for some hints on what to do while in Scotland for a few days. Someone posted a note about a car trip from Glasgow to Edinburgh and a castle about 1/2 way in between.....and suggested a night there. I can't find the original messages and can't remember where they were talking about.<BR><BR>Can anyone help please??

adams Feb 4th, 2002 09:48 AM

The castle might have been Stirling Castle, in Stirling. Played quite a role in Scotland's history.

xxx Feb 4th, 2002 09:50 AM

Driving in Edinburgh isn't recommended, so I'm not sure I'd rent a car. The train ride from Glasgow to Edinburgh is only an hour.

Barbara Feb 4th, 2002 10:01 AM

Driving in Edinburgh is no more difficult than driving in any other city. The tricky part, as in most cities, is parking. If you are going directly to Edinburgh from Glasgow, and will be returning directly to Glasgow, then take the train. If you want to tour via the Trossachs and Stirling Castle, then rent a car.

maureen Feb 4th, 2002 10:04 AM

Thank you for the advice on the car. I am still undecided.....<BR><BR>What i am planning to do &lt;with 14 year old daughter&gt; is going from Glasgow to Edinburgh, perhaps a stop in Stirling &lt;would over night be recommended? enough to see for a day??&gt; and then on to Edinburg.<BR><BR>The reason i am considering a car is 1, for the mid way stop and 2, because i will be traveling straight away from Edinburgh back to Prestwick to catch the first leg of my flight home through Standstead.<BR><BR>Knowing that, is there any more opinion on car vs. train?<BR><BR>thanks so much!! :)

x Feb 4th, 2002 10:08 AM

HOw many days are you planning on spending in Edinburgh? If you only have one or two days there, then I'd recommend that you skip the drive and take the train directly there. There's a lot to see there and Edinburgh Castle will give your daughter a good look at a castle.<BR><BR>Also consider a day trip via train to St. Andrew's.

janis Feb 4th, 2002 10:48 AM

maureen - I posted that response. Yes, it is Stirling. the area between Glasgow and Stirling is lovely countryside. loch Lomond, the Trossachs, Lake of Mentieth (the only "lake" in Scotland), Inchmahome Priory and Stirling Castle could all easily be done in one day without rushing since the distance is only about 40 miles.<BR><BR>As I mentioned, driving in Edinburgh is not easy so it is best to drop off the car out at Edinburgh Airport and take the shuttle bus into the city. Frequent service at only &pound;3.50. It is only about 35 minutes from Stirling to edinburgh Airport so you would have plenty of time to stop at Linlithgow palace before dropping off the car.<BR><BR>As I remember you have 4 days total after Glasgow. So one night in/near Stirling and the rest in Edinburgh works out really well.

Barbara Feb 4th, 2002 10:53 AM

Definitely rent a car. There is no train from Edinburgh to Prestwick. You can drive to Stirling, see the castle and go on to Edinburgh easily in one day. You will arrive in Edinburgh in the evening. You will need at least one full day in Edinburgh, more would be better. There is a lot to see.

janis Feb 4th, 2002 10:54 AM

I meant to add that then you could head back out to Edinburgh airport to pick up another car to drive to Prestwick - OR you could easily take the train to Glasgow and on to Prestwick.

janis Feb 4th, 2002 10:56 AM

A Glasgow train goes to Troon which is not far from prestwick airport.

maureen Feb 4th, 2002 03:37 PM

Thank you all for this very helpful information! How DID people travel before the net?? :)<BR><BR>I will be in Edinburgh for 3 days probably......and I think having access to a car for a few days in the middle of an 11 day trip will be a nice break.<BR><BR>Thanks for the info!!

Rob McCoist Feb 4th, 2002 05:02 PM

Maureen<BR><BR>The train between Glasgow and Edinburgh calls at Linlithgow where you will find the ruins of Linlithgow Palace, the birth place of Mary Queen of Scots.<BR><BR>If you have time I recommend a visit to this pretty substantial ruin. From the station the stroll to the palace takes just under 10 minutes. Details of the palace can be found at:-<BR><BR>http://www.marie-stuart.co.uk/Castles/Linlithgow.htm<BR><BR>Rob<BR>

mauld Oct 10th, 2002 08:06 AM

I'll be flying into GLA from the US in March, and will be heading immediately to Edinburgh. With a return back to Glasgow for a day or two before my flight home. I was planning to use public transporation between the two cities and my question is:<BR>Which is preferable, the bus or train<BR>and more importantly can I go directly from the GLA airport onto Edinburgh. Or must I travel into the city to catch a bus/train. I realize it is a short trip, and will be doing it fairly early in the day.

Sheila Oct 10th, 2002 09:20 AM

Mauld<BR><BR>I don't think you can go direct but someone may correct me. If you can, it will be by bus and you should do that. You can certainly take a bus direct from the airport to Glasgow Queen Street station (note Queen street, not Central) and get a train from there to edinburgh which would be my plan were I doing it.<BR>