Glasgow to Banbury

Jan 13th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Glasgow to Banbury

My wife, one year old daughter and I are going on vacation. We will fly into Glasgow and have four days before we have to be in Banbury, England for a conference. Do you have any suggestions on how to spend our time in Scotland or the long drive to Banbury? Thanks for your help!
Jan 13th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Well you can easily drive from Glasgow to Banbury in about 1/2 a day - it is about 350 mostly motorway miles.

So what you do entirely depends on what you want to see/do. You could spend all of the time in Scotland visiting Striling, the Trossachs, and Edinburgh and then drive straight through to Banbury.

Or you could go from Glasgow into SW Scotland and see Culzean Castle, Robert Burns sites, and some lovely castles and gardens in Dumfries/Galloway. Then maybe a stop in the Lake district on your way south.
Jan 18th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Janis,

Thank you for the information. We made reservations for The Turnberry Resort in Scotland. Are you faniliar with it? Can you provide recommendations on day trips from that resort? Thanks again for your help.
Jan 18th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Well if you mean "THE" Turnberry, it is one of the most famous hotels/Golf courses in the world. Right on Turnberry Bay w/ the famous view over to Alisa Craig.

I assume (?) you are into golf if you are staying at Turnberry. If so, be sure to also play Prestwick - site of the first Open

Culzean Castle is a few miles north and is an absolute MUST. It is in a glorious setting and an amazing interior.

Also very close is Crossraguel Abbey - a really fascinating/extensive ruin.

All of the Robert Burns sites are nearby - if you time is limited I would see #1 Culzean; #2, Crossraguel; #3 Prestwick; #4 Burns sites.

If you have more time, there are other great sites south in Dumfries and Galloway - Sweetheart Abbey, Caverlock Castle and several others.
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Janis,
Thanks again for all your help. We actually picked the Turnberry because we can stay free on hotel points - we are not really big golfers, but it sounded wonderful. We will let you know if we have more questions as we firm up our plans. Thanks again.