Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Glasgow - Mackintosh: Your Favorite Buildings?

Old Jan 8th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

We are fine-tuning plans for our trip to Britain in June 2016 and now I am looking at the last part, a very brief time in Glasgow.

For those of you who are Mackintosh fans, if you had time to visit just one or two buildings, what would you suggest?

The School of Art, according to its web site, is still giving tours and they have created what they call “an extraordinary model” of the library which was gutted by fire in 2014. Has anyone taken this tour?

And what about the House for an Art Lover, built in 1996 following his 1901 designs. It sounds terrific. Has anybody visited this?

Thanks as always for your opinions and suggestions!
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 07:14 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
The GSA is pretty special. I haven't been there since the fire and I fear I'd be a bit heartbroken even though I applaud their resiliency.

I'd probably opt for the Hill House and GSA, with a stop at the Willow Tea Rooms (basically around the corner from the GSA.) Haven't visited the House for an Art Lover.

There's a lot of scorn in Scotland directed to "Mockintosh" artifacts and reproductions. We should all be so lucky to have that as an option. Go and enjoy.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 07:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>The School of Art, according to its web site, is still giving tours and they have created what they call “an extraordinary model” of the library which was gutted by fire in 2014. Has anyone taken this tour?Hill House up in Hellensburgh (train ride of less than an hour and then a 1.5 mile walk or a short taxi ride -- it is up hill so I might take a taxi to and walk back).

Then the Lighthouse, the House for an Art Lover, and Willow Tea Room.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 07:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
was posting the same time as Gardyloo . . .
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 12:50 PM
ESW

The Hill House is wonderful and really gives you a flavour of what Macintosh could do HOWEVER as it is in Helensburgh, you have to be prepared to commit half a day to visiting it.

No one has mentioned the Hunterian Museum with one of the best collections of Macintosh. Quoting from their web site "The Mackintosh House is a meticulous reassemblage of the principal interiors from the Mackintoshes’ Glasgow home.....The house was demolished in the early 1960s but the original fixtures were preserved and reassembled, complete with the contents, as an integral part of the Hunterian Art Gallery. The architects took pains to ensure that the sequence of rooms exactly reflected the original....The interiors have been furnished with the Mackintoshes' own furniture - all to Mackintosh's design - and decorated as closely as possible to the original. The selection of bric à brac, fitted carpets, curtains and other soft furnishings was based on contemporary descriptions of the house and photographs of Mackintosh interiors of the period."
http://www.gla.ac.uk/hunterian/colle...ckintoshhouse/
It makes for a fascinating visit.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for very helpful information and ideas.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 02:17 AM

I enjoyed the Hunterian museum and willow tearoom. I'm a bit of an Art Nouveau nut.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Willows Tea Room in the town centre is fun, too
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 04:25 AM

I worked in schools for 25 years - - and earlier on attended several, so I really enjoyed this wonder:

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museum...s/default.aspx

"The building is one of Glasgow's foremost architectural attractions. It is located next to the Shields Road subway station. During the building's construction, Mackintosh frequently battled the school board about the design (the board wanted a less expensive design)."