Reload this Page >

Glasgow City Bus tour

Search

Glasgow City Bus tour

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:22 AM
John

Glasgow City Bus tour

I was wondering if there is a Glasgow bus route that goes by the major tourist sites that would offer me a good view of the city highlights? Also, I am without a car and would like to see the Burrell Collection. Is it within walking distance of the city center or is it best reached by bus? And lastly, where would I get a daily bus pass - from the driver or at a certain transportation center. All responses appreciated.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Anne

I'm afraid I can only answer one part of your question. YES there is a "Guide Friday" double decker bus trip that will show you all the highlights of Glasgow. You can catch it at George Square. There are two separate routes, but you can do both of them. I dragged my Glaswegian cousins on it last summer -- we all enjoyed it very much and they saw sights they'd never seen!<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:36 AM
David

I too can only answer to one part. The Burrell Collection is about 3 miles south of the downtown. I cabbed it last spring. If you go, do walk over to the manor house on the same grounds. It was beautiful and the rhododendrons in bloom on the way were spectacular. Had a nice little place for lunch or a snack too.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Sheila

The Burrell Collection is in Pollock Park. Bus numbers 45, 48A and 57 pass the gates- there's a twice per hour bus from the gates to the gallery. (Walk takes 15 mins?) You can get a train to Pollockshaws West from central station.<BR><BR>Mercat Tours and the Tourist Board do 1 1/2 hour walking tours of the City. Discovering glasgow do what guide Friday do.<BR><BR>No idea about the bus passes; but you can buy a Roundabout Glasgow plus ticket which covers the Underground, the trains and Discovering Glasgow (a hop on/hop off service) for one or three days.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:01 PM
David

Sheila, I'm curious. I read in another thread about a free museum shuttle bus that runs between 4 major museums in Glasgow. If this exists and you know about it, do you know which 4 museums it is?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Sheila

I don't know about it. there is one in Edinburgh, tho' it's 5 museums not 4.<BR><BR>let me see what I can find......

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Sheila

No, I can't find it on the web. I'll phone the tourist office in the morning

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:46 PM
David

Sheila thank you very much for your response. Don't go to any trouble. I could very easily have the Edinburgh one confused and thought it was in Glasgow. Thanks again!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Barbara

Sheila, if you could make that call and report your findings I would appreciate the info.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Sheila

Apologies for the delay. The only bus is the one referred to above. I think someone has got their edinburghs and Glasgows confused