Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Glasgow Airports (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/glasgow-airports-705634/)

vscott04 May 16th, 2007 11:33 AM

Glasgow Airports

When flying into Glasgow International Airport, how hard is it to travevl to Glasgow Prestwick Airport? Can you take a taxi? How many Euros does that cost? And how long would it take?

flanneruk May 16th, 2007 12:29 PM

Glaswegian taxi drivers can get pretty shirty (if you can understand what they're saying) about takking English banknotes sometimes. I wouldn't tempt fate by offering them unspendable, depreciating, foreign currency.

A Scot might come on and give you better info, but I'd guess somewhere in the region of £50 to £70 would be about the right cab fare. Yup seventy pounds. Real money.

The easiest thing to do is to get a cab (for about £5 or so: five mins. You can practically walk it if your bags don't weigh much) to Paisley Gilmour St railway station, then get a train (40 mins last time I got it).

Check timetables at www.nationalrail.co.uk

leather1026 May 16th, 2007 01:57 PM

They dont use euros in the UK.I am in Edinburgh/Glasgow every week and have never had a problem using english bank notes.

Gardyloo May 16th, 2007 02:12 PM

It's about 30 miles; a car service will run around £50 - 55.

I never heard PIK called "Glasgow Prestwick" until Ryanair started flying there. They have a way of painting a misleading picture about the location of their principal airports. When I flew through PIK I just called it a nuisance.

zippo May 16th, 2007 03:42 PM

Trains go from Paisley Gilmour Street every 30 mins.
Cab or shuttle bus from bus halt outside main building.Any documentation (includes email) showing you are flying will get you half price fare on the train.
Anyone in Scotland will be glad to take your English notes ,we use them all the time. Many of the cash machines here dispense English notes - I received some today.
Given the choice, ask for English notes.
Less bother later.

alanRow May 16th, 2007 10:04 PM

<<< Many of the cash machines here dispense English notes - I received some today. >>>

I've had that happen once in 18 months

<<< Given the choice, ask for English notes. >>>

You won't get a choice of "English" or "Scottish" notes at an ATM, you MIGHT get the option at a Money Changer

weelynnie May 28th, 2007 03:27 PM

Glasgow taxi drivers would probably take ginger bottles to be honest!! ;) Never heard such rubbish about the english notes, they'll take them no bother :)

billbarr May 28th, 2007 04:40 PM

Ginger bottles lol - good stuff, weelynnie.

Sadly, I am old enough to remember when ginger bottles got me free into the local cinema for the Saturday afternoon matinee. They probably got 3d back on every bottle!

Never heard of a Scottish taxi driver getting shirty taking English notes. Wish I could say the same for their English counterparts accepting Scottish notes. They don't like 'em. Had that problem a good few times.

bill

sheila May 29th, 2007 12:27 PM

I THINK flanner was being flippant, guys, Give him a break!

Ginger bottles? Have we go got a newcomer from the Wet Coast on the forum? Tell all, weelynnie....

weelynnie May 29th, 2007 01:33 PM

Over here in Scotland, as an incentive to return your glass bottles for recycling, you get 20p per bottle, loads of kids take "ginger" (scottish word for soda) bottles to the shop and exchange them for sweeties. It's a running joke over here that people will take any sort of payment including "ginger bottles" :)

billbarr May 29th, 2007 01:43 PM

Hey Sheila

How are you?

I always give flanner a break. One of the best writers on here.

What you been up to?

bill

sheila May 29th, 2007 10:13 PM

work, work and more work.

Where have you been?

Lynnie, hey don't know what "ginger" is east of Cumbernauld:)

billbarr May 30th, 2007 01:33 PM

Hi Sheila

Nowhere since Greece last September. A few wee health problems have slowed me down a little.

Will be back in Greece in September again though, come hell or high water!

best wishes

bill