Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Girona, Spain - Why do you love it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/girona-spain-why-do-you-love-it-794716/)

Crisco0 Jul 9th, 2009 05:55 PM

Girona, Spain - Why do you love it?

We are staying at Hap Dreams in Girona, Spain for three days. When I first looked at the town, it seemed like a mini Barcelona, without the hype. After the visiting the "call" , walking the wall, visiting the Arab Baths, the churches and sitting on the Onyar and people watching with drink in hand, what else is a... MUST DO? Please don't be offended, but I think I'm missing something important here. Are there any day excursions we might take from Girona? We do have a car. We are already visiting Montserrat, Cadaques, The Paradore at Vic Sau, Figueres and Barcelona. This is our first trip to Spain, so excuse my ignorance.

danon Jul 9th, 2009 06:31 PM

We visited Girona for one day - long enough.
It was a nice spot, but love ? don't think so.

Another visit to Barcelona? Sitges ?

Aduchamp1 Jul 9th, 2009 07:34 PM

It is an interesting town but clearly not a min-Barcelona.

My real question to you how do you know whether Barcelona is over hyped if you have not been there?

CathyM Jul 9th, 2009 09:03 PM

I really like Girona but it is definately NOT a mini Barcelona. You've mentioned the main highlights but one of my favorite things about traveling is just to wander and let things come to me...instead of chasing a list of things to do.

You're spending 3 nights in Girona, correct? Can I assume the trips to Montserrat, Cadaques, Vic and Figueres are additional overnight stays or daytrips from Barcelona. What is the remainder of your itinerary? What time of year are you travelling?

immimi Jul 9th, 2009 09:43 PM

I enjoyed wandering around the medieval stone buildings in
the old part of Girona. The cathedral is certainly worthy
of a visit and the Jewish area is rich in history. The
newer part of town is a typical Spanish shopping area.

Crisco0 Jul 10th, 2009 04:06 AM

CathyM -We will be in Girona early October '09. It is part of our Costa Brava itinerary. All the other cities mentioned are separate, one day stops, except Barcelona which is four days.
(Auduchamp1 - I am very hyped about Barcelona.)

Girona seems a quiet small town, with some interesting features, and fit into our intinerary. I was concerned I was missing important qualities and searching for feedback. Our reservation at Hap Dreams is firm. Possibly two days is sufficient to see the town.... so a sidetrip outside Girona for one day was a consideration. Open to more suggestions on both fronts.

Ian Jul 10th, 2009 05:19 AM

Easy drives from Girona:

La Bisbal d'Empordà - pottery
Peratallada - stone village
Ullastret - Iberia ruins just north of the 'new' town
Empuries - Greek & Roman ruins
Costa Brava - beaches & numerous villages & towns

Ian

Revulgo Jul 10th, 2009 05:31 AM

Girona is nice but hilly. Do wear comfy shoes.

swagman Sep 5th, 2009 09:22 AM

Drive an hour north, cross into France and turn into Collioure, a seaside town famed by Matisse. I am going there tomorrow for an overnight stay, for the 3rd time in 12 months!!

Enjoy!

s