Girls trip, Where to go?

Search

Girls trip, Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girls trip, Where to go?

We are talking about a girls (us girls are early 50s) trip to Europe for a week to 10 days total. Some of us have been to many cities & towns all over Europe. Some have only been to Italy for a few days. We are interested in culture, and shopping. Anybody have some good suggestions and reasons for them. Money isn't an object, but we don't want to throw it away. Thanks
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:20 PM
ira

Dear z,

Would you like to review your posting? You haven't even told us when you are going, much less what your intersts are.

Based on your message, I suggest Czernowicz.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Well, I've taken girls' trips to the Aveyron, Languedoc-Roussillon, Marrakech, and Provence. When you say "culture" what do you mean? There's "culture" all over Europe. My best girls' trip, by the way, by far, was cooking school in Marrakech. But then, I haven't gotten to the wine spa at Caudalie near Bordeaux yet.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM

A woman who unfortunately sat beside us on a plane back from Rome last week told us she had been on a tour with 80 other women. The thought boggled our minds. She further explained (although unasked) that she had booked the tour through a website/tour operation named (I am not kidding) Menopause.com. My husband actually managed to keep a straight face while she was telling us this.

If she was telling the truth, and we have no reason to disbelieve her, you "girls" could check out Menopause.com and see what they offer. If it really exists, it should at least be good for a laugh.

I suppose I'll now get flamed by fans of the web site!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:52 PM

Last year I took at trip with a girlfriend to Amsterdam. We spend a wonderful week visiting museums and all of the touristy attractions. We went on a day's bike ride in the countryside, took the train for a lovely day outside Amsterdam and even rented a car one day and drove the Delft and the flower mart and some other very lovely towns in that general area. We has such a wonderful week, we still talk and laugh about it. Amsterdam felt very safe, we had wonderful meals and met some lovely people. Can't wait to go on a girl's trip again
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:22 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The most famous group of traveling women pals who ever graced these boards were Elvira's Loons. Hard nowadays to find one of her immortal threads, but here's one to savour: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...&tid=84973

Veneto. Rent a barge. Do a trip report.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:49 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
This past December three girlfriends and I went to Germany to visit the Christmas markets. We had a complete blast. We began in Rothenburg (took the train from Frankfurt), then spent a few days in Garmisch and a day in Munich before returning to Frankfurt for our flight home.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:08 PM

We, 4 woman, went to Spain. We explored and shopped and enjoyed it very much. Between the four of us we brought back 22 pairs of shoes! We hired a car for a two weeks but could have used public transport if we wanted to.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:00 AM

My favorite place is Berlin. The museums, opera, symphony, etc. are outstanding (there is even an ancient ruin in one museum). Potsdam has some wonderful homes. KaDeWe Department store is fun and there are plenty of excellent shops--Bucherer has a store on Kurfurstendamstrasse (spelling?). Berlin is the history of the 20th century with the Olympic Stadium, newly redone Reichstag, remaining pieces of Berlin Wall, Templehof Airfield (Berlin Airlift), Brandenberg Gate, etc.
The people are very friendly, the food excellent and the nightlife is active.
Just 2 hours south by train is Dresden and Meissen. If you go in late November/December, the Christmas markets are great fun as was noted in an earlier post.
The UBahn is an easy way to get around.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Henda -

22 pairs of shoes! And here I thought we'd broken some sort of record for cuckoo clocks, incense smokers and assorted Kathe Wolfahrt items. You go girl!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Our girls trips have been limited to places here in the U.S. for long weekends so far -- jobs and little kids prevent us from going farther yet BUT our group has decided our ultimate girls trip will be to Paris and London...
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:46 AM

How many girls? I think I'd split it between Rome and Sorrento. You could rent apartments and spend together and apart time.

Fun, fun, fun!!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:58 AM

for culture and shopping, i love Florence.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 08:10 AM

ANYWHERE!!! I just returned from a trip with college roomates..a celebration of midlife..and our kids are at an age where we finally can get away (Finaly!!..we have 13 between the 4 of us). We have all been through a lot over ther years and I think we realize that the love and support we have had from each other have been invaluable.
as for specifics . we went to a cooking holiday in Provence..great idea as "activity" and great local day trips..A few days in Paris before could certainly give you shopping and all the museums and galleries you would ever want...I hope your trip is enjoyable and as many laughs as ours was.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied. Answers to your questions are, we want to go around early October when the airfares come down and its not so hot. Culture is pretty much anything that is new to us, museums, neighborhoods, famous landmarks & historical sites. There are 4 to 6 of us going and we are thinking maybe London with day trips to some of the small villages & towns outside London. Provence would be great with my daughter, shes a chef. Spain also sounds great, but my husband and I just got back from there 2 weeks ago. Can't go to Italy, my husband would be too jealous. One question, where is Czernowicz? Poland? Why do you suggest it?