Girl Scout Camp: France

Nov 16th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Girl Scout Camp: France

My Girl Scout service unit is planning for next summer's day camp. This year's theme is Western Europe and the girls will all spend one day in Italy, Germany, France and England and I am in charge of organising the French activities. Someone else is doing the song part, and the girls swim and have lunch, so I need to plan 4 activities, a snack, a craft, a sport/physical activity, and another cultural activity. I already have a cafe theme with the snack and we're serving mini croissants with chocolate (no cooking facility on site); Italy is doing bocce ball so I thought a trike relay take off on the tour de france for the sport; For the craft we are thinking Monet's garden and having the girls paint the garden; but I'm stuck on the fourth. They suggested we try to do a national festival. I thought of Bastille day, but without fireworks or guillotines I'm not sure how to pull it off. I thought maybe some sort of Hunchback of Notre Dame idea, bringing in the story, the cathedrals or something. I thought of Perrault fairy tales, but Germany is already considering the Grimm bros so I'm not sure if I could. The girls range from first graders to 8th graders. I know this is long, but I thought you all might have some fun ideas! Thanks!
Nov 16th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Just think of the quiet if they were to learn to mime!

Sorry to be silly... I just read an incredibly long thread about children getting kicked out of a restaurant in Chicago on the US board.

I look forward to reading your other suggestions. I do love the painting like Monet.

Nutella is an easy treat to add w/ the croissants or spread on sliced baguettes.
Nov 16th, 2005, 05:26 PM

I don't have any suggestions, but having been a girl scout for many years myself I just have to say "Wow!" The biggest camping adventure we ever had was a few hours drive away in east Texas.

You've got some adventurous leaders of that troop! Sounds like a wonderful, enjoyable experience for the girls.
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:12 PM

What about something having to do with The Little Prince?
Nov 16th, 2005, 07:08 PM

What about something to do with the building of a cathedral? You could take the historical aspect.

You could also add an engineering/ architectural perspective.
David McCauley, who wrote the Way Things Work, I believe, wrote a section of his book (or perhaps it was a differnt title) explaining with great cut-away illustrations of how the cathedral works -- flying buttresses, etc.

Our Cub Scout den recently did an experiment with engineering and weight loads from the Bear book,but it was more with bridges. If you can't come up with something from a scouting or kids' science website, perhaps consult your local chapter of Society of Women Engineers.

Good luck, and very creative thinking of a travel website!
Nov 17th, 2005, 04:17 AM
ira

Hi L,

Very good projects.

How about learning to sing "Alouette"?
http://www.kididdles.com/mouseum/a014.html

You might get some ideas from this link:
http://www2.lhric.org/pocantico/france/france.htm

Hope this helps.

Nov 17th, 2005, 04:29 AM

How about a smaller re creation of the Bayeux tapestry.

Muck
Nov 17th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your ideas! I don't think the mime idea will work for keeping the girls quiet, I've been to camp with them before! I like the Nutella idea, but many of the girls (there will be around 250 in total over the week) have nut allergies. I will look into the way things work, that sounds like it could be interesting. I love the Little Prince, it is my favorite story! Thanks for all of the helpful hints, I appreciate the new lines of thought for me to follow!
Nov 17th, 2005, 07:34 AM

What about a fashion show?
After all Paris has been the centre of Haute Couture for centuries
Nov 17th, 2005, 07:52 AM

a re-enactment of the three musketeers?

Or even better, Joan of Arc! They can all learn about girl power, fifteenth century style.
Nov 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM

One final thought -- if you need photos for a project, I'm sure people here would email them to you.

If you don't want to post your email address create a hotmail or yahoo account.
Nov 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM

If you have access to water; it could be interesting to study canals and to build a mini one...

Great ideas
Nov 21st, 2005, 03:49 AM

Why don't you teach them how to make french baguettes - it's fun, easy, cheap and very cultural!