Gifts What to bring to Spain

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 08:51 AM
jeff

Gifts What to bring to Spain

We will be visiting Spain next month to meet the family of the exchange student we have had for the past two summers. We have sent the family the usually books, posters,
mugs of the Boston area. Any suggestions on other things we could bring to them?

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 05:04 PM
Cheryl Z.

I'd say food items, something from your area. Maybe locally made cookies, jams, wine???
Also, how about something that fits in with their hobbies/interests if you know what they are?

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 07:35 AM
Tom

When I was an exchange student in Spain, and lived with a family there, I brought a small Revere silver bowl with me as a gift for the family. Coming from the Boston area myself, it was something with local significance, as well as something the family could display and appreciate for a long time. It was a little on the pricey side, but it was for a family that would be taking me in for a year! They deserved it.

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 09:21 PM
Bette

How about (1) state and city maps; (2) some local postcards; (3) some seed packets of veggies and especially flowers; (4) carton of cigarettes (yes, it's politically incorrect!); (5) and cologne for Mom; and (6) candy.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 01:12 PM
kyle

I would think that they might appreciate some local wines or beers, etc. From the Boston area I might also recommend some local salami, Italian sausages, hams or cheeses, etc. I'm not sure about how Customs works in Spain relative to foods from abroad, however, I found out the hard way that US Customs doesn't allow meats from anywhere so you might want to check on that. I might also recommend that you get the Seņor a nice tie or dress shirt and the Seņora a dress or sweater as their fashion sense is alot more formal in Spain than it is in the US. Maybe some flavored coffee might be appreciated, as well.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 09:08 PM
Stephanie

I have been an exchange student in Switzerland for the past two summers, and the things I found to be most interesting for my host family was tasting the different foods that we have in America. Bring cookies and/or recipies for baked goods. Also, peanut butter and jelly bellies were a big hit. Hope this helps.