Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Gifts to take to host family in Europe from Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Ela

I'm from Oahu, and I will be staying with a couple of families throughout western Europe. I was wondering...what do you think these families will like from Hawaii? I'm not sure if taking Chocolate covered Macadamia Nuts and Coffee from Hawaii will just be cheesy because their chocolate and coffee is so good. <BR> <BR>Any opinions?

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:47 PM
xxxxx

I love getting the Lions coffee from my friend when she visits from Oahu! It is fantastic coffee, not cheesy. The nuts are also such an ingrained part of your culture. Another treat I getting from her are these incredible cookies that come in a narrow box and are dipped in chocolate. I would bring what you would bring any family you're staying with. They'll love it and its something not as easily available. (by the way, I'm a fan of the honey and smoked macadamias, do that have to be chocolate?)

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Ela

xxxxx, <BR> <BR>Are you from Europe? I'm glad that other don't think these are bad gifts to take. There are chocolate covered macadamia nuts, but their are also just unflavored nuts that might have some subtle taste to them.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 08:30 PM
mari

hi ela-- <BR> <BR>when i visited a french friend in switzerland last yr, i took 100% kona coffee and was glad i did. kona's expensive here but even more so elsewhere. my friend told me she had to go to geneva to find it, and it was in demand among some of her friends. btw, i also took some flavored coffees--mac nut, hazelnut etc--and was told that europeans aren't so crazy abt those. as for mac nuts, the roasted salted ones were highly appreciated too.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 12:31 AM
Ela

Hey Mari, <BR> <BR>Thanks for answering my question! But, did you take any chocolate covered mac. nuts? Did the Europeans like the roasted & salted ones better? <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 12:34 AM
Melissa

Hi Ela....I live on Oahu and I always bring chocolate covered mac nuts & Kona coffee for my European friends, and they are always thrilled. If you want to give more stuff, other things to bring are: <BR>Taro Pancake mix <BR>Hula Girl pancake mix (kind of expensive--but it's exotic flavors like Kona coffee chocolate chip, macadamia-mango, and pineapple-coconut) <BR>Nori-, Warabi-, Macadamia Nut-, Taro-, or even Mango-flavored pasta from Sun Noodle. you can get this at the Compleat Kitchen or http://www.sunnoodle.com/ <BR>Jams & jellies from the Lyon Arboretum <BR>....or anything else you can find from the Food & Products Show they have every so often at the Blaisdell Center. <BR> <BR>When I go to Europe, I also stock up on those little single packets of chocolate covered mac nuts by Hawaiian Host (from Longs, about 50 cents each) to keep in my purse so that I can make friends. The packets have a waterfall, a hula girl and an orchid on it, and I use it to show people where I come from! <BR> <BR>Have a great trip.....and eat lots of cheese!!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 12:40 AM
Melissa

Sorry...one more thing. For a non-food item, why don't you try Hawaii-made soaps? There's these wonderful handmade soaps & gels from Maui--www.kopahaiku.com. Or stationery from www.bothi.com, where she paints tropical flowers.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 12:48 AM
mari

ela-- <BR> <BR>i was kind of hesitant to take choc-covered mac nuts bc western europe has some of the best chocolate in the world. so i took roasted salted. i wd also try taking coffee-glazed--a smash hit w/ my friends in asia. and, something u can find on kauai or at alan wong's deli in liberty house: anahola granola. has toasted coconut and other tropical fruit and is to die for!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 01:07 AM
Ela

Someone mentioned taking dried fruits - do you think Europeans would like dried mango or papaya? I personally don't like those things, but someone told me to take some!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 04:21 AM
ttt

It is difficult to travel with Fruit. Bring Kona coffee. Sorry but European chocolate is very superior to American don't go that route. The coffee will be enough. Europeans like strong coffee so go for the Kona Gold. Cigar leis also travel very well for first family. You are taking with you an extraordinary history of your home state so your host family is lucky to have you. Remember to drive home the fact that Hawaii has been inhabited for 1000+ years. Have fun and enjoy, consider laying low on where you come from to strangers. Your next post could very likely read where do I put all the people visiting me from my travels, just kidding. Have a wonderful time.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 04:52 AM
Paige

You can get dried papaya and mango in Europe. My mom used to live in HI and my favorite gift from her was the coconut glazed macs. I've seen the plain roasted and choc covered ones over here so maybe go for something a little different.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Ursula

Paige hi! It's hot, hot here in Zurich and looks like being a nice weekend, hopefully in Munich as well! ;-) <BR> <BR>Ela: Yes, as said above, we have dried exotic fruit in Europe and also all sorts of nuts. BUT, this stuff is quite expensive here and I am almost sure most people will appreciate it when imported directly from Hawaii into their homes.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Diane

My daughter stayed with host families in Germany and Costa Rica (different continents, several years apart!) and brought a pretty picture book about Washington, DC (we live in suburban MD) with a shapshot of her in front of our house glued on the back inside cover. I'm sure you can find similar Hawaiin books. The essential part, though, is to personalize it with you & your home!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 10:29 AM
De Anna

When I went to Hawaii I brought back some small "starts" for several plants -- one was "Birds of Paradise" -- and gave them to family members. I bought these "starts" from one of the souvenir shops there. They've grown into beautiful plants, and are a useful reminder of our vacation there. <BR> <BR>I live in the midwest, so these "starts" survived quite a bit of travel. <BR> <BR>Just a thought...

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Ela

I noticed that people suggested to take gifts that will last longer than food/coffee. How about taking a CD that has Hawaiian Music on it? Are the CD's from America compatible with the CD's in Europe?

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Ela

to the top please!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 09:59 PM
Melissa

I can't guarantee it, but I think CDs are compatible (videotapes are not). My friend sent me a CD from Paris (French artist, French producer, etc) and it played fine in my computer and my CD player.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 12:15 AM
kalena

Our European exchange friends enjoyed hawaiian jams and jellies: guava, passion fruit, pineapple. You can find nice ones at specialty stores. <BR>CD's are a great idea. We came back with several celtic CD's. Hawaiian music would travel just as well.