Reload this Page >

gifts to bring to relatives in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 03:43 PM
Andrea

I am visiting relatives throughout Italy and am looking for inexpensive, 'light' gifts that I can bring to people I don't really know terribly well and met when I was young. <BR>I live in NYC-any ideas? <BR>Thanks

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 08:35 PM
AC

Andrea, <BR>I think candy is always good if your relatives have children. If you don't feel the need for U.S. made gifts, you can always buy flowers, chocolates and liquor there to give and save packing and carrying them. If you want NYC gifts, maybe the Mona Lisa kitchen towel (check out the post "It Looked a lot better in the shop"). Christmas ornaments of things in the US would be small, too. <BR>Have a great time! <BR>AC <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 08:32 AM
cherie

Family photos. Especially reprints of old ones of people they remember. Even photos of family weddings, etc. That's their common ground. No matter what the language, people love talking about relatives and photos are great ice-breakers. Its a good way to get family history from distant cousins, etc. And take your camera!

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 08:41 AM
elvira

Calendar w/NYC views; I like the tea towel idea (gaa rawn TEED I'm looking for the Mona Lisa when I'm in Paris) with maybe the state bird or flower or Statue of Liberty?

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 08:56 AM
Marlene

I have found that local decorative objects,i.e.anything ethnic-Native American jewelry, some very inexpensive turquoise, also coffee table book with photos of recognizable U.S scenery, Grand Canyon, etc. Sunset, Menlo Park, CA has great ones. Take the weight, leave it behind and bring home your own souvenirs.

Old Sep 12th, 1999, 05:36 PM
Mario

andrea, <BR>I lived in Italia for most of my life. I have put together a list of items that are much coveted and molto caro (very expensive) here in Italia. These gifts will be treasured by your relatives: <BR>1. alumunium foil <BR>2. feminine protection items <BR>3. A&W Root Beer <BR>4. Statue of Liberty Crowns <BR>5. Empire State Building Pencil Sharpeners <BR>6. Anything that says I LOVE NY <BR>7. clown nose and bunny ears <BR>Bon Voyage, <BR>mario <BR> <BR> <BR>