Gifts from Italy and France

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 07:38 AM
Marta

Gifts from Italy and France

I am somehow cofused where to post a message if it covers both France and Italy.
My husband and I will be in Rome and Florence in October and then we are flying for a few days to Paris. I would like to bring some gifts from both countries for our catsitters (a couple in 40s) and 10 students in my class (ages 22-28). I am willing to spend $10.00 or less for each person. Thank you for your recommendations

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 07:43 AM
Rex

Prints of your favorite artists, suitable for framing - - and you can likely choose an assortment of works that cannot be easily found in the US - - are an excellent choice, pack readily, available in a range of prices to suit your tastes - - and possibly even selectable to fit "personalities" of the recipients.

And a great to support museums - - shop in their in-museum shops!

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 07:58 AM
Maira

I find a nice keyholder to be a good, practical, and inexpensive souvenir. A keyholder, a pen, and/or small French chocolate bar per student? A bottle of wine from the Tuscany Region and/or a box of French chocolates for your catsitters?

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 04:00 PM
karen

I bought one of those cheap (under $10) silk scarves from a street vendor near the Colisseum, just because it was a very windy day. Here at home, I get compliments every time I wear it. Next time, I'll buy a bunch of them to give as gifts.

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 06:30 PM
Marta

Hello Rex, Maira, and Karen.
I knew you will have some great ideas: prints, scarves, keyholders for my students and bottle of wine with box of chocolates for my catsitters. Thanks again

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 07:25 PM
Sherry

Marta: I don't know if you would like them, but when I was in Florence I went crazy for those little odd shaped boxes they sell covered in marbled paper. You can get them at the flea market, but I thought the lovliest ones were sold at G. Giannini. It is in the guide books. They start at about $5. Just another suggestion. Have a great time.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 04:33 PM
Marty

Marta: At the Musee D'orsay, I picked up stick 'em pads with Impressionist paintings stamped at the corner for under $5-pretty and useful. Christmas ornaments were also a big hit. In Florence, I bought beautiful ceramic wine stoppers for about $7.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 08:04 PM
Santa Chiara

Good suggestions all. May I add for the students computer mouse pads with prints of Renaissance painters, which you can buy in the Florence market for $10 or less. Also, in the marbled-paper line are notebooks (journals) and address books. The former have been particular popular (as has the paper-covered boxes someone else mentioned). I have also brought back calendars (again Firenze mercato), but those can get heavy if you are carrying more than four.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 07:03 AM
hcw

After our trip to Paris w/our teens two years ago, I regretted not having purchased Christmas ornaments for them, so started looking EVERYWHERE for those. Finally found a superb Paris-based site (www.babiole.com) which had beautiful ornaments, lots of other Paris souvenirs, great prices and incredible service. I now get occasional email updates from them and will probably order again in the future . . . Just in case you think of something after you get home that you wish you'd bought there!