Gifts for Greek Family

Search

Gifts for Greek Family

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gifts for Greek Family

I am traveling to Greece with my wife and we were trying to figure out what gifts for her family in Samos might be good to bring from the USA. We had heard brownie mix, Red Sox Gear, sports jerseys, etc.
Someone else had mentioned that greeks love cosmetics(esp french made) and vitamins???
Any input would be most helpful.
Thanks
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM

I suspect that you should ask them if there's anything that they'd like...otherwise, good wine.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 08:02 AM

You have not told us the ages of any of the family. I think sports jerseys are great for any children between 8 - 28! Red Sox or --- do you have a Boston Soccer team? That would be great also.

For an older person in the family, I was advised (and it worked out well, they loved it) that a (good quallty) silver picture frame is valued. Traditional Greek families seem to have a lot of framed photos sitting around on shelves etc. Perhaps you might have an older foto to reproduce and put in the frame, such as a relative in common ... or a picture of your wife with some of them, in past years. My previous inquirer was visiting people who had been close to her parents when her family lived in Greece during the 1970s ... she found a snapshot of these people & her parents and had it enlarged to fit a 5 x 7 frame.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM

In these days of globalisation, most things available in the US are also available in Greece. If I received a gift of vitamins, I would probably wonder if I looked unhealthy. ;-) Greece and France are both members of the EU, so reimporting French cosmetics back to Europe may not be the best idea either.

One sport that Greeks and Americans both love is basketball, so if you are from Boston, maybe some Celtics items would be appreciated. Perhaps it would be best to pick a local specialty from your area. How about a coffee table book on Boston or New England? Or just ask her family before you depart on the trip — there may be items they are longing for, but you won't know unless you ask.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:48 PM

I always ask my friends when I visit.
Some like personal items that aren't readily available or can't be shipped.
I also like to bring something special from our area.
We find many are interested in basketball and there currently are 3 Greek players in the NBA.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

her cousins are approx 22-30 yrs old. Also, She has not seen her family(uncles, aunts, cousing) in over 10 years, so its a bit difficult to know what they like. when we did ask them what they would like, they insisted not to get them anything. The picture frame is also a great idea, will definitley do that. The NBA stuff is a very good idea.
thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 08:26 AM

ehe...greeks like Timberlands...buy them timperland shoes (really no joke). In addition, the frames idea traveljan suggested as a 'family' present/gift is great. Also, if any of the recipients is 'elderly' a nice (not too flashy) scarf would be great (I get every year one for my mother who still lives in greece). Finally, LEVI's jeans...are somehow a hit...and they are very expensive, for some reason many greeks like them...so, you may want to consider that as well.
yannis