Reload this Page >

Gift Ideas to bring back from France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:30 PM
traveller

Going to France for 2 weeks - any suggestions of little, inexpensive gifts to bring back to coworkers and neighbors that are very French but not tacky? thanks

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Jody

I love the mustards, olive oils, bouquet garnis, soaps, candies and all sorts of goodies at Olivier and Co , near the rue de Buci

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Auleen

I have enjoyed the kitchen towels from a dept. store in Paris; calendars from anywhere in France; mug and saucer sets; anything I can use once I get home and not have it just sit on a shelf collecting dust! I also have a weakness for ceramics, but they are heavy and I worry about them breaking...still, I have gotten them home every time. Oops! Just realized that you wanted gifts for others, not souvenirs for yourself! I guess I am more tired than I thought. Goodnight, and happy travels.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:03 PM
betsy

You're gonna laugh, but my colleagues and friends were crazy about those little four-inch Eiffel Towers that are available everywhere in Paris. I bought several at the gift counter at the top of La Samaritaine. They're inexpensive, lightweight, easy to carry and indestructible. I use mine as a ring holder.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Diane

Depending on whether you are giving to a friend rather than an acquaintance, you could give stockings. The department stores sell beautiful stockings that are thigh-high. Haven't seen them here, but I rarely shop in department stores these days.<BR><BR>Small items made from material from Provence, such as a bread basket. Lightweight and won't break. A few years ago I was in Galleries Lafayette, and they had a huge section of one floor devoted to items from Provence.<BR><BR>I agree, people seem to enjoy the Eiffel Tower replicas.<BR><BR>Outside some of the department stores people sell things from carts. I bought a lovely purse for $7. Also, check out the scarves at the stalls. Probably not silk, but will have a Paris label.<BR><BR>How about kitchen magnets: Eiffel Tower, of course, and loaves of bread, wheels of brie. Tacky, yes, but I have them all on my refrig.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:52 PM
kate

Chocolate! <BR>Mariage Freres tea candles,soaps or tea<BR> Inexpensive posters from the bookinistes along the Seine<BR> Something small from the museum shops at the Dorsay or the Louvre,the Picasso.I got a Picasso card, about 5"x8" and had it framed at home, it gets so many compliments. That is also where I get great magnets.<BR> The Eiffel Towers are fun.<BR>A souvenir cup or glass or ashtray from Cafe Duex Magots<BR> A silk scarf,some places sell them really cheap!<BR> That is all I can think of now<BR>Have a wonderful time~<BR><BR> <BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 08:27 PM
lisa

You can find boxes of chocolate that have Paris scenes on each wrapper at the airport in duty-free. It's a really pretty arrangement and the chocolate (Michel Cluizel, or something like that) is really good. That's a good gift to put in the snack room in the office, or for kids to take to share with their classmates. Plus, it's great for chocoholics, like me. So, if you've euros in your pocket at the airport, check it out.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:59 AM
deb

Herbs de Provence and lavendar soap.