Search

Gift Ideas from Rome & Venice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gift Ideas from Rome & Venice

Hello all~

We'll be leaving in two weeks for our trip to Rome and Venice and I was hoping to get some Christmas shopping out of the way. I've looked at past posts for ideas and read a good thread from 1999, but thought I'd troll for some updates.

Any ideas for inexpensive (under $25) gifts?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:57 AM

It is very difficult to give advice without knowing the ages and genders of the intended recipients. Not to mention their tastes, etc.

You might look at the linked thread on Farmacia Santa Maria Novella, which has an outlet in Rome; any one of their beauty/bath products would make a wonderful gift:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34736124
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Scarfs! I can't tell you how many compliments I got about the scarfs I bought on the streets of Roma. I gave many of them away as gifts for Christmas. I wrapped some of the presents with the scarfs ( i watched it online) and that really was a hit. Another idea, rosaries blessed by the pope. Especailly for kids making their first holy communion. I also got medals that were blessed too.

Wine is another nice gift. Shipping it is expensive. Glass objects. Venice is known for the glass. The bad part, everything starts looking the same after about 15 stores. The kitchen stores in venice had some really cool stuff too.

Have fun in Italy, you lucky dog.

Theresa in Detroit
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Those beautiful marblized papers and note books.
Coral jewekry,
Venetian masks, puppets,
pistashio paste
nd yes, I'd love some SMN
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both! Great ideas- keep 'em coming. FYI ekscrunchy, primarily adult/primarily female.

Theresa/Mamaw, I spent the better part of the morning yesterday reading your "Rome I Loved it" trip report. Great read- thanks so much.

Yes, I am a lucky dog- no doubt about it. woof! ;o)
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Small Venetian masks make nice Christmas tree ornaments, and look for small glass necklaces (glass piece approx. 2-in, round)
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:03 AM

You won't find much at Santa Maria Novella under 17 Euro. A single bar of soap, perhaps.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Religious items purchased in Vatican City.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Hi Phyllish, I too think scarves are a wonderful idea and there are beautiful ones in Italy. Another gift most women I know enjoy are the Italian teatowels aka dishtowels. They have some very charming ones. Both of these ideas are so easy to pack in your suitcase.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

cigalechanta- we posted at the same time. GREAT gift ideas and a second on the SFM products. I think I'm a pretty good gift giver. Unfortunately if I really like something intended for another, I have a tendency to buy two- one for them one for me. I'm thinking I smell better already. ha!

Love the mini Venetian mask idea as an ornament. I'm a freak for Christmas ornaments, so that's a winner right away! Has anyone bought Venetian glass Christmas ornaments. I'm assuming these will be readily available on Murano?

Religious items purchased at the Vatican- just the thought made me catch my breath. After all, that is what it's all about... I have a feeling that the majority of the Vatican City may be seen through tears as is. Admittedly, I'm a big mush.

Scarves, tea towels, kitchen gifts- all wonderful ideas.

Uh oh, $$ one for them, one for me $$... ;o)
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Also, if any of the recipients are chefs, they might appreciate bags of dried porcini mushrooms which are eadily available iin both cities. Better to buy at the markets and vicinity than in a "gift" store.

Or vacuum-packed cheeses, which would only be a good buy if you live in a city without access to good quality Italian ingredients. Unusual honeys and jams are also inexpensive and good for those who would appreciate them. Again, this depends on your home location..if you are in a city with good access to imports, maybe it would not go over so well.

I would advise paying a visit to a nice perfumeria and browsing the shelves. There are some beauty products which cost very little but the quality is excellent and the packaging is beautiful. The box of MARVIS toothpaste is so gorgeous; you see this on the shelves of celebrity homes featured in Arch Digest, etc. Things like that..just take a look yourself and you will come up with some terrific things. Think outside the box..look for interesting stuff outside the usual tourist outlets..even in supermarkets.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy, thanks for your insights. I'll definitely be visiting some of the not so traditional gift buying venues. As a graphic designer, product packaging goes a long way with me. Admittedly, I'm the first to be swayed by a well designed package.

First a trip to SMN to see how the other half lives and then onto the supermarket for MARVIS toothpaste. I love that idea. I see it even comes in the travel size. How many do you think I can fit in my ziploc? ;o)
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM

But I don't think the supermarkt has Marvis..you need to look in the upscale Perfumerias. You really got me going here..if I think of more stuff I will post.

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Another good idea for people who like to cook would be spices. Go see the spice guy at the Campo de' Fiori market in Rome and see the amazing selection. One tip for these...the guy puts a scoopful in a plastic bag and twists it into a cone shape before tying. It looks neat but wouldn't pack very well, I think the bags would break open with pressure from the clothes around it. I opened the bags, flattened them out, and put them in a 2-1/2 gallon ziploc bag. Worked perfectly.

The little decorative bottles of Limoncello (holding around one drink) are fun, too, and probably cost around 5-6 Euro. (Of course, I always have to bring back a big bottle! )

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM

If your recipients are cooks, mine loved the Mediterranean olivewood cutting boards, bowls and spoons. Also, colored marble bottle toppers and italian hand stamped dishtowels were a hit.

We brought back scarves which is always appreciated. Venice has a handful of Florentine leather gloves in a rainbow of colors which your chic friends will appreciate.

If you have friends that are "artsy", there is an amazing artist studio in Venice on the street next to the La Fenice (on it's right) that had some great mini contemporary, whimsical Venetian paintings and molded miniature "carnival" dolls which were all just slightly over your price range (they ranged from E17 and up). Very unique and original gifts. I don't recall the name....sorry.

There is also a gem of a boutique with very original and unique gift items from artisans calle "La Pedrera" in the San Polo district near Campo Sant' Agostino. We brought home some gorgeous watercolors of Venice...nothing like I've seen anywhere else. The artist has a way with color and style. I had a difficult time deciding on which ones to get. The stampa prints were very reasonable (10 Euros) and beautiful enough to be framed and displayed.

We also found some beautiful glass Christmas ornaments of Santa on a gondola which were fun.

Have a great trip...be sure to pack a couple large duffle bags to fill w/ goodies. We brought home 2 large parachute duffles that we filled to the gills and they traveled very well back home to the States.

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Susan mentioned the spice guy at campo d'fiori. I am wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of buying these loose spices only to find bugs in them when returning home?
I bought some and after my daughter mentioned the -sanitary issues, I haven't had the nerve to open and closely inspect!
cheers
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Well, I've used the spices I bought and certainly didn't find any bugs! Usually that is more of a problem with fresh (not dried)stuff, and that's why you can't bring fresh herbs or plants back. I'm sure if they thought there might be bugs in the dried spices, Customs wouldn't allow them to enter the US.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Adventureseeker- lots of GREAT ideas, thanks so much. I appreciate especially the stampa art print and boutique location(s) info. You're a girl after my own heart. Note to self: pack ANOTHER extra duffel.

SusanP- thanks for the advice and for answering the question regarding being able to bring spices back into the States.

giro- dive in, a little "protein" never hurt anybody. ;o)
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Phyllish,

You're welcome! After going past the same ol' shops with the same ol' things, it was very refreshing finding these gems....I just had to share.

I dug and found the business card for the artist studio near La Fenice: Arca (Teresa Della Valentina) Santa Croce 1811 Calle Tentor. Here's a website that shows a sampling of her tile and clay art:
http://www.bochaleri.it/galleria/arca/ She had a huge selection of funky framed watercolors when I was there and it was fun to watch her work.

I just stumbled across this "Venice Shopping Guide" on SlowTrav which a traveler gives a description of Teresa's work. It looks chock full of other great finds too.
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/venice/shopping_guide.htm

This is a great studio shop where the maskmaker is working on masks while you shop. I picked up a couple mini masks for E10 and there were other great gift items(handmade papers, bowls, etc.) at prices under E20: Caravanserraglio
S. Marco 3283 San Samuele
We really enjoyed discovering this San Samuele area near Campo San Stefano (our fave). It's off the beaten path and has some unique artisan studios and galleries.

Yes, definitely pack a duffle. I was surprised at how much we brought home....great memoirs from a dream trip.

Enjoy!

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM

bkmk Will be going in the fall, great ideas!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -