Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gift ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gift-ideas-593206/)

reldihs Feb 21st, 2006 06:07 PM

Gift ideas

hi. i'm an american student about to leave for a study abroad session in england (oxford university, oriel college) this march.

i would like to surprise my host family with some gifts for when i arrive. the family consists of a husband and wife, a fourteen year-old boy, a ten year-old girl, and a five year-old girl/boy (the name is kerry, i'm just not sure yet and i haven't spoken to them yet).

the woman in charge of the study abroad program tells me that in the past, many of the families really enjoy see's candy and peanut britle. that's definitely on the list, but i'd like to be a little bit more personal.

i'm from southern california, and i also heard that people in the uk will be very excited about meeting someone from so-cal. i was thinking that a california-esque gift would also be a good idea, but living here my whole life, its actually kind of hard to think of what people outside of the area consider a cliche southern california thing.

if anyone from england (or anywhere else outside of california) has any ideas of what would be a good idea, please let me know. i would greatly appreciate that.

--hannah

beckyg Feb 21st, 2006 06:21 PM

Baseball caps for the kids. Maybe Levi's too? A coffee table picture book of the U.S. for the parents.

Have fun!

italy06 Feb 21st, 2006 07:18 PM

Hannah--

I live in Southern California and think you can't go wrong getting a fourteen year old boy something from a surf shop. My Brit friends love the whole kitschy part of SoCal. Try Val's Surf if you're near one. Maybe stuff from American TV shows- t-shirts and stuff . For the adults, maybe a coffee table book showing LA in the 30's and 40's. Or a book on great Spanish or modern houses in LA. There are a lot of cool ones out there. Good luck in England - my daughter is studying in Cannes as we speak.

LoveItaly Feb 21st, 2006 07:30 PM

Hi reldihs, you are going to have a wonderful time, you must be so excited.

On another Board that I belong to there was quite a discussion among the Americans and the Brits regarding our candy in the US. The consensus was that the Brits do not like our candy. The chocolate is too waxy and to sweet etc. etc. So because of that long discussion I would be hesitant to bring candy. One exception was Reese's peanutbutter cups. Evidently those are really enjoyed by most.

The other ideas you received sound very good. And don't forget..don't wrap your presents and put them in your luggage as security will probably unwrap them. Wrap them after you arrive.

Best wishes to you.

reldihs Feb 21st, 2006 08:05 PM

thanks everyone for the speedy responses! i'll keep all suggestions in mind.

--hannah

Morgana Feb 22nd, 2006 12:10 AM

Hi
Lucky you going to Oriel!
I live in England but my son spent a year studying at Irvine last year, and we spent a wonderful holiday visiting him.
So, from my point of view -
We all became strangely addicted to White Cheddar popcorn (can't buy it over here).
Clothes definitely for the 2 older children. Favourite shops were Abercrombie & Fitch and America Eagle. I think their T shirts would go down very well.
Maybe something from Sephora for the mum (how I love this shop). Prices in the USA are so much cheaper than in England, even though some of the products can be bought over here. Benefit and Korres are favourite brands.
M

InSicily06 Feb 22nd, 2006 12:53 AM

Not sure, but what about something with a mexican twist... How about Margarita Mix? Maybe you could cook one night and make them a Mex meal.. bring packets of spices with you? I lived in San Diego for 7 years and I had a hard time coming up with SoCal stuff and always seemed to go for the Mexican angle. Enjoy your trip.