Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gift Help !! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gift-help-84420/)

John Aug 26th, 2000 02:17 PM

Gift Help !!

HELP! I'm travelling to Italy for the first time in less than a week. While there, I will be meeting a number of relatives...also for the first time. I would like to bring gifts along, but have no idea where to start having no frame of reference for likes and dislikes. <BR> <BR>Can anyone give me any ideas as to what American items are popular in Europe for adults and children of both sexes? My thanks for your advice.

nancy Aug 26th, 2000 03:30 PM

We haven't been yet,and do not have relatives, but one item I will be taking, just incase, are postcards of where we live. <BR>How about some of those? <BR>You don't mention ages, whether or not your relatives are sophisticated city people, or folks who live in smaller rural villages. <BR> How about a photography book on the States? or the area you live in? <BR> Posters of popular rock groups if there are any pre-teens/teens? or movie stars? <BR> Any children? <BR>If so, maybe some Pokemon cards,( which are sold even here in Vermont.) <BR>You get about 8-11 in a pack, cost&lt;$4. <BR> T-shirts for children/teens.Or even adults if you think they would wear them. <BR> Since I live in Vermont, I would take some small cans of maple syrup, or maple candies over. <BR>Do you live in an area that has its own regional specialty? <BR> I know this is silly sounding, but if your relatives are very rural, and not well-off as far as having lots of material things, someone may appreciate new, "good" kitchen towels.(Personally I *never* buy dishtowels, even though I can certainly find them locally and afford them, but I never think of it! <BR>For my birthday I ask my mom-in-law to buy me some, and I always appreciate them (cause they look and smell really clean!) <BR>These ideas may not help you at all, but maybe they will trigger something and give you some ideas of your own. <BR>Have a really good time! <BR>nancy <BR>

elvira Aug 26th, 2000 05:47 PM

Calendar or picture book of American scenes, especially from your area. <BR>Local specialties, as nancy suggested, such as food or crafts. <BR>Pictures of your house, family, friends, hometown (just a few) in a small album. <BR>Souvenir key ring from your hometown or nearby place of interest. <BR>CD or cassette of a local band or symphony orchestra. <BR>Small painting by a local artist. <BR>For children, school supplies with Pokemon or team logos; rubber stamps and ink pads. <BR> <BR>

Linda Aug 26th, 2000 08:17 PM

Agree with the specific items from your home town or state. Also, electronic organizer because they are either unavailable or too expensive & you can get them in all price ranges here; t-shirts; cds.

chick Aug 27th, 2000 11:26 AM

THe US has such a great assortment of picture frames. Put a photo of your family, your region, or leave empty for photo of relative with you. Baseball caps with logos of New York, Las Vegas, etc. If there are kids, they like CD's of the lastest teen idols. Teen girls like the fad jewelry. Girls like Beanie Babies, especially if there is some relation as to name and birthdate.Native American silver jewelry or pottery is good too.

josie Aug 27th, 2000 11:29 AM

Many people enjoy different kids of packaged candy, especially unusual types like PopRocks, or maybe Nerds.

luigi Aug 27th, 2000 03:04 PM

John, <BR>Strange as it sounds, when I went to visit family of a friend in Venice and Asiago, I took them each a box of See's candy. Being from the LA area, it is a welcome gift even to relatives in other parts of the states. I know it sounds weird because they certainly can and do make some of the best chocolate in the world. And yet, all the people I gave it to opened it immediately and seemed to really enjoy it. I would do it again. Have a great trip! <BR>luigi

scigirl Aug 27th, 2000 05:07 PM

Ditto on the food recommendations. You reallly can't go wrong bringing some sort of local speciality. I live in Hawaii and bring macadamia nuts, which are essentially unheard of in Europe and very welcome by my Dutch relatives. Any area of the US would have regional specialities (e.g. salsa, candies, nuts, etc.) that I imagine would be well received in Europe. Also American candies, like Nerds, PopRocks, etc. would be unique for the younger kids. (Also lightweight, packable, and relatively trouble free.)