Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   gift for my host family? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gift-for-my-host-family-279134/)

emma Dec 12th, 2002 06:10 AM

gift for my host family?

hi, i will be going to tuscany to study away and i was wondering what an appropriate gift to bring my host family would be. i know they have kids, but i don't know the age or sex of them yet. i am from the ny metro area and so i was thinking getting the kids some candy they don't have over there, an i heart ny tshirt, and some american coins. . . what do you think? what type of candy would be good? <BR><BR>also, what for the parents?<BR><BR>thanks so much for your help!

Karen Dec 12th, 2002 06:14 AM

Think of things you would like a visitor from another city to bring to you! How about a picture book of NY city? You would be able to break the ice at the same time as you flip through it to some of your favorite places from home.

Ira Dec 12th, 2002 06:18 AM

Hi Emma,<BR> The coins are a good idea for young children, especially if you can get a set of quarters from the various states.<BR><BR>

Alice Twain Dec 12th, 2002 06:26 AM

Food is always a good gift for an Itlaian fmily too, as long as it is really good stuff (nothing too industrial, if possible, we like our food to be or at lest look as natural as possible) and impossible to find in Italy. Bring small portions of several gfoods, if you can, so that they can have a taste but, in case they do not like some of the items, they are not forced to swallow too much of it just because they must behave kindly to you ^_^

jen Dec 12th, 2002 06:32 AM

How about Bop-it or Bop-it extreme?<BR>It's not for sale in Europe and kids love it (many parents as well). I know lots of kids would prefer it to quarters! As for candy, strange kinds are always popular: pop rocks and things that turn your tongue blue.

emma Dec 12th, 2002 12:58 PM

i was thinking of getting the kids penny candy, such as licorice rope, rootbeer barrels, etc. . . anyone know if they have that it italy?<BR><BR>also, the funky candy is a great idea! my little brother and sister love that stuff, although quite frankly it grosses me out! :)

Ann Dec 12th, 2002 02:20 PM

My kids studied abroad, and we've had a number of exchange students in our home. Here are some of the things we've given as gifts: picture books of the area, NY Yankee paraphernalia, t-shirts, maple syrup (can also plan to make them some pancakes), and calendars with pictures of the area. Also, our German exchange student LOVED brownies, and we sent him several boxes of brownie mix with measuring cups/spoons included.

topper Dec 13th, 2002 05:39 AM

toppong for Emma!

tracy Dec 13th, 2002 01:34 PM

hi emma -<BR><BR>how about a nicely wrapped bottle of california champagne, plus a chocolate-chip-cookie-making kit? <BR><BR>believe it or not you can't get chocolate chips for baking in italy. grab 2-3 bags of ghirardelli or guittard dark choc chips to stuff in your suitcase . . . everyone in europe thinks they know what choc chip cookies taste like, from mass-produced cookies . . . your new kid housemates will love you !<BR>hth