Gift for French business associate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will be traveling to Paris on business in October. Part of the deal is that we get an apartment provided by our associate for seven days free of charge. I would like to bring a gift to him and his wife. Is there anything that Parisians/the French enjoy from America and/or California where we are from? I'm assuming that we can't bring any fresh fruits? Any gift ideas would be appreciated. It does not have to be a food item either.
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 08:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you know if your hosts have been to California? How about a nice book of photos of the Golden State? Amazon has a few that look good. This one is all nature and scenery, no cities:

http://www.amazon.com/California-Pet...AT5M8WYHJBVE9E
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Wow--that's a beautiful book from the pages that I was able to see. Yes, they have been to California. Great suggestion. Thank you!
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 09:14 PM

I always like the idea of a beautiful book! I was going to jokingly say "wine", since you are from California--jokingly because some would say that's like bringing coals to Newcastle, but on the other hand, California makes some of the best wine in the world. But difficult to transport unless you check a case...
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 10:03 PM

A beautiful book is a good idea.. and if going to their home for a diner etc.. bring flowers.. always correct.
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 10:36 PM

I think that 7 days free of charge deserves more than a book - even a very nice book. Invest in a very nice bottle of California wine, too. Then look around for a nice florist.
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 11:08 PM

***I think that 7 days free of charge deserves more than a book - even a very nice book. Invest in a very nice bottle of California wine, too. Then look around for a nice florist.***
This is a business trip. In the end there could be some trade going on. It must be a good one or the stay would not be free.
Hence just a small gift would be acceptable.
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 11:24 PM

I actually do not like getting books of places, no matter how pretty the are. They always end up in a Goodwill box.
What about a handsome, modern piece of crystal or blown glass (set of wine glasses, decanter, carafe, bowl, dessert plate, vase, etc.). Also, you have lots of really fine craftspeople in California, perhaps a gallery near you would have something interesting.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 12:08 AM

I think the book is a better idea than glassware or some other expensive gift that may not match their tastes. That sort of thing almost always ends up not being used at my house, because I have all the glassware service I need, and then some. A nice book may not be read more than once, but at least I can put it on a bookshelf, whereas I may have no place to put the glassware.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 01:24 AM

I'd consult other French colleagues about recommendations for a really good restaurant , quite an expensive one considering that you are staying rent free, and then treat your hosts.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 02:36 AM

I agree with taking them out for dinner at a very good restaurant. And before you leave, arrange for a beautiful bouquet of flowers and thank you note from a good Parisian florist to be delivered to Madame.

The problem with bringing a bottle of wine is that it will have to go in your checked luggage. Make sure you wrap it very securely. I don't know what airport you're flying from, but is there a high end wine store in duty free? Perhaps you can carry it on board that way.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 07:40 AM

One or two bottles of very high quality California wine would be my suggestion if you are checking luggage. It is a great treat if you live in Europe to get wine that is often prohibitively expensive here. I also think high quality bourbon is appreciated by Europeans. (Just one bottle would do!)

If you are not checking luggage, then lightweight gifts I always appreciate and and can always use include (tasteful) aprons, a set of quality table napkins, quality kitchen utensils, big coffee cups or coffee mugs filled with sweets or California dates would be delicious, or some sort of gourmet California almonds if you can find them easily.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 07:59 AM

So the wine idea is good after all
I would not want an item, either. Taste is very particular, and what is "handsome" to some might not suit others at all. Not to mention that pottery or glass seems, if anything, even more difficult to transport than wine.

If a really good gift is in order, I bet a winery would ship directly to the person in France...
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 08:03 AM

I think it is possible to bring along pottery successfully in check in. Just remember if you opt for that the French style of coffee mug is more flat and round than high and narrow, so I would go for something like this. I think unique but simple pottery/stoneware has character.

http://www.custommade.com/pond-and-s...-st/by/gemfox/
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 08:44 AM

I like several of these ideas -- ask a French colleague, flowers and dinner, or crystal vase, etc. I don't like coffee table books at all. They are a big fat burden and I don't know anyone who even wants one because they are just the kind of thing people get that you don't want, and then you don't have anything to do with it. Sure, they can be pretty to look at once, but who wants to own one. They take up too much space and no one wants their space taken up by stuff they don't want or need, bookshelf or not. I wouldn't like the presumption that I should use my bookshelves for books I don't want. I just think a nice vase or bowl is classier, anyway.

But ultimately this is a business trip, not total some personal favor, in fact, it was just presented that as part of the business deal, you are getting an apt to stay in free for 7 days. So what, it's a business expense. I'm not even sure any personal gift is appropriate if this is just some business rental apt, not their own residence.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 08:54 AM

Bottle(s) of high quality Californian chardonnay I'm sure will be very well appreciated. As well as Washington Pinot Noir. They both have very different flavours to the French equivalent. Flowers are always well received by French hosts, the French wrap them particularly well. The rest I would not bother with pottery, books, crystal etc.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

I wish there was a "like" button on Fodor's! All of you have made some great suggestions--thanks so much for the feedback. And to clarify, it is an apartment that he keeps permanently for his clients to use when in Paris that is in the same building as his business to make it convenient for all. It can actually be used for up to two weeks, but we can only stay for one, so yes, it is a generous part of the "business deal," but he gets a good deal as well.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 09:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The French know that California wine has outclassed a lot of the French wines in the various "competitions" all over the world, but of course you know that this would only be a good gift if you know that the business associate is a wine lover. Believe it or not, plenty of French people would have no interest whatsoever in such a gift.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 10:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd bring California wine. My friends in Switzerland (which has plenty of outstanding wine of their own) get a kick out of it when I bring a bottle of something from Washington State.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My husband was in the import/export business for several years, and he found business gifts to be very tricky. A lot depends on whether the giver and receiver are "equals" in whatever business brings them together. As the guest apartment is essentially part of the business (and not their personal residence), I wouldn't consider the free use of it especially significant. I'm rather sure the expense is covered by the business.

Don't worry about what the receiver will do (or not do) with the gift. Obviously, if you know that they don't drink wine or any alcohol, that wouldn't be the best expression of your appreciation. Ditto if you know they are diabetic, don't bring candy. If they only look at a book once or leave it in the guest apartment or pass it on to someone else, fine.

If you happen to go to a dinner held in their home, don't bring flowers but have them delivered earlier the same day. According to a book I have, there should be an odd number of flowers but not 7 or 13. No red roses, no carnations or chrysanthemums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -