Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gibraltar to Morocco? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gibraltar-to-morocco-267320/)

Looking Oct 20th, 2002 05:16 PM

Gibraltar to Morocco?

We will be on a cruise ship docked in Gibraltar from 7am till 5pm. Is there any way to do a day trip to Morocco by ferry, plane, or whatever? Any suggestions would be welcome.<BR>Please don't waste anybodies time with smart remarks how we will not experience the country or what a waste of time this will be. We know that as we do travel all over the world, and we do love to experience the local culture, people, food, etc., but this time we will be on a cruise, and since we've been to Gibraltar before, we would like to visit and possibly do a quick shopping trip for local art, as that's what we like to collect.

mhm Oct 20th, 2002 07:08 PM

We were on a tour that spent six days in Morocco, entering at Tangier. I am not sure that I would want to have only 10 hours to come and go. The trip is usually done by ferry and they can be delayed at both ends for various reasons; weather in the Strait, ferry mechanical problems, etc. Our trip over was about 3 hours. Our return took much longer because the incoming ferry had been delayed and that meant we were delayed for several hours before we could even board the ferry to return. If luck is with you, everything would go perfectly--but there are so many variables that I personally would not take the chance--unless your cruise ship will wait--They never have on any cruise I've been on. However, IF the cruise offers this as an option, then you would be safe--since they will wait for their tours to return. I will be interested in knowing what you decide. Drop the 2nd r from my name. MHM

Looking Oct 21st, 2002 06:02 AM

Thanks mhm,<BR>I guess ferry is out of the question. I'm wondering if a plane or helicopter is an option? Anybody else?<BR>mhm - As far as I know the ship does not have an excursion to Morocco, so yes you're right, we would have to be extremely careful with our time.

Geoff Hamer Oct 21st, 2002 06:15 AM

There is a fast catamaran that runs from Gibraltar to Tanger. I don't know whether the schedule allows a day trip, but you can check on www.frs-maroc.com. Most ferries run from Algeciras which is across the bay from Gibraltar, served by local buses. There are ferries to both Tanger and the Spanish enclave of Ceuta which is nearer. Try www.trasmediterranea.es or www.euroferrys.com for schedules, etc. I don't think any of these services is noted for punctuality, so you would have to be very cautious.

Looking Oct 21st, 2002 06:49 AM

Thanks Geoff,<BR>Well, my hopes are up again. At least you gave me a place to start. Still if anybody knows of a regular air service, please post.<BR>Thanks again!

Michael Oct 21st, 2002 09:05 AM

My wife and I just came back from our honeymoon in the south of Spain and we met a couple who had just been over to Morocco on a day trip. I can't help you with travel, but they said that because of 9/11, tourism has dropped off dramatically and the country is hurting even worse than before, people were very desperate to sell their goods. Make of this info what you will.