Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ghosts in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ghosts-in-europe-236687/)

Kami Jul 3rd, 2002 11:11 PM

ghosts in Europe

With very old hotels in Europe,what's the likely hood of seeing ghosts? I prefer to be without the extra company and I am kinda jittery about it, I'm not Weird! Thanks,Kami

medium Jul 3rd, 2002 11:59 PM

Kami, do you normally see ghosts at home? If not, then it is not likely you will see them in Europe. Whatever "vibe" you are used to at home is pretty much what you will have all over the world (maybe, hopefully less). Also it may make a difference if you are alone or not. Carry some kosher salt with you just in case, if you are that nervous.

mel Jul 4th, 2002 12:33 AM

Kami,<BR><BR>The likelihood of seeing ghosts in Europe is the same as for everywhere else in the world -- zilch.<BR><BR>Mel.

Celine Jul 7th, 2002 10:59 PM

That is not true, there are so many more ghosts in Europe. The civilization there was going strong when in the US there were just trees and nomad people. You will find alot of unseen presence in certain places.

Tony Hughes Jul 8th, 2002 12:48 AM

So no one lived in USA until the 1620's, right?

Greg Jul 8th, 2002 01:05 AM

Ghosts don't exist, except as figments of imagination.<BR><BR>Ther are no such things as ghosts.<BR><BR>-G

joseph Jul 8th, 2002 03:11 AM

I live in Ireland where stories of ghosts were very common in my youth.I have been searching for them all my life but have failed so far.Despite that I think there is a substantial amount of evidence that ghosts exist.Has anybody on this board seen a ghost?One of my friends,a doctor,told me his whole family heard one in London once.At least one old hotel in Ireland is supposed to be haunted-Castle Leslie,where Paul McCartney got married recently.

anon Jul 8th, 2002 06:54 AM

At this time last year, I would have said the same thing that many of you said...no such thing as ghosts. I was a true skeptic (my wife used to call me the professional skeptic). Until I actually saw a ghost one night when I woke up in the middle of the night. It totally freaked me out...it wasn't scary looking or anything...harmless actually. Just the whole idea scared me. <BR><BR>I also think that I saw one in the Rheinfels castle in Germany. It wasn't as clear as the other one though.<BR><BR>I do think that there would be more of a chance of seeing a ghost in areas that had been more heavily populated and where people died from violent deaths.<BR><BR>Just my opinion and experience.

StCirq Jul 8th, 2002 07:22 AM

Don't know about hotels (and don't believe in ghosts), but there are certainly places in Europe where people claim to see ghosts often. Sightings of Marie Antoinette at Versailles on August 11 each year are legendary, for example.

Dallas Jul 8th, 2002 09:30 AM

Joseph, I too, have been searching for ghosts all my life (that's quite a while in my case) and have never seen one. I thought for sure I'd find one in the UK, but it didn't happen.<BR><BR>Once I visited a very old church crypt (built in the 13th century) in Warwick just as they were getting ready to close. I wandered around down there all by myself for about half an hour. There were torture tools, a witch's dunking stool and all those graves; it was very eerie, but no ghosts. I'm afraid I have to chalk them up to "a few too many," or just plain imagination!

Celine Jul 8th, 2002 09:50 AM

Mr Tony Hughes, reread my post. <BR><BR>You don't have to see ghosts you can feel their presence, if you are open to such things. <BR><BR>None of us are any great authorities on the after (or pre) life experience, so don't make such definite statements of "there is no such thing as ghosts" that is presumptuous on your parts. None of us knows what is to come.

scarymonsters Jul 8th, 2002 11:52 AM

BOO!!

Tony Hughes Jul 8th, 2002 11:58 AM

Celine<BR><BR>I'll turn that one right back at ya'. Go re-read (or just read) my post. You've read greg's posting and attributed it to me. No need to apologise, easy mistake to make.<BR><BR>As it happens, I'm a believer. Living and working in the Europeans UFO hotspot, I've seen one or two things that I can't explain. My mind is open (but not vacant).

Something Jul 8th, 2002 12:19 PM

We stayed in an old hotel in Venice. I'm not a superstitious person and did not expect to have any experiences, but I had the creeps so bad in the middle of the night I would have liked to have run out of there. I didn't see anything per se but there was a presence and it did not mean well.

Celine Jul 8th, 2002 12:37 PM

I meant your post about no one in the USA until the 1600's. I said nomadic peoples or at least those that were settled in makeshift homes, except the Anastazi were here. Anyway, my statement has holes in it because the "American Indians" had alot of beliefs of spirits.

Tony Hughes Jul 8th, 2002 01:09 PM

What about the Zuni Indians?

Celine Jul 8th, 2002 01:13 PM

Nevermind, Tony, this is getting exhausting.

Tony Hughes Jul 8th, 2002 01:22 PM

If you say so. Email me if you like.

Celine Jul 8th, 2002 01:29 PM

About what? Ghosts in Europe? Or Ghosts on the Zuni Reservation?

Tony Hughes Jul 8th, 2002 01:34 PM

You choose - I'm interested in both.