Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ghent or Antwerp (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ghent-or-antwerp-676910/)

MarlNY Feb 5th, 2007 08:42 AM

Ghent or Antwerp

We are going to Amalfi Coast from NY end of April and have a stopover in Brussels so decided to add 2 1/2 days to trip. Will stay in Brussels and take day trips. One day to Brugge and was wondering whether to go to Ghent or Antwerp for another day. Any suggestions?

ourjetboat Feb 5th, 2007 08:52 AM

I would stay in Brugge the 2 1/2 days. Checkout the B&B Number 11. Brugge is delightful at night when all the busses have left. Especially if this is the first leg of your trip..relaxing.

hanl Feb 5th, 2007 09:09 AM

It's a close call as both are lovely towns. I'd probably say that as a daytrip destination, I prefer Ghent - it's a manageable size and is very "user friendly" and charming (lots of great photo ops). But Antwerp has loads going for it too - and it's definitely the place to go if you are into fashion and shopping.

QOTD Feb 21st, 2007 08:22 AM

go to Antwerp for the day. Much prettier city than Ghent (ideally, you should do both, but Antwerp should come first). I lived in Antwerp for more than 2 years.

Stop by the very helpful Tourist office right on the beautiful Grote Markt. They can tell you everything about the history, fashion, food, art.

With your literature in hand, stop by Het Elfde Gebod for a beverage while you plan. If it's before 11 a.m., settle down in any of the coffee shops near the tourist office. Listen to the carillon music drifting from Our Sacred Lady Cathedral. Gaze at Brabo fountain.

Antwerp. Definitely.
--QOTD

livinthelife Feb 21st, 2007 08:51 PM

I will be able to post more tomorrow evening as a friend and I are going to Ghent today, overnight, but, after speaking to my husbands Belgian co-workers they reccommended Ghent. I have been to Brugge and it is a beautiful place, if you will return to Belgium at some point I do reccommend you spending two days in Brugge it is worth it. Ghent, is alot like Brugge but bigger (I hear) it is larger than Brugge but smaller than Antwerp. I have been to Antwerp (personal opinion: I don't like it, just like another major North American busy city, but older buildings) and if you want to shop than that's the place to go, but as far as travelling and seeing parts of Midevil Belgium, Brugge and Ghent are perfect. Both cities are doable in one day if you want to do both but take your time and enjoy them. Another personal opinion, don't stay in Brussels and do day trips, stay overnight in Brugge and Ghent (or wherever you decide to go) enjoy the evenings in the city centre ("(Z)/Centrum/Markt/Grande Place") it is always beautiful and fun to "people watch", all the restaurant patios stay open year round (nice outdoor heaters) and the weather has been very much like spring lately so come the end of April it will be like Summer. Good Luck with your decision and enjoy Europe!

lawchick Feb 22nd, 2007 01:04 AM

Antwerp

MyriamC Feb 22nd, 2007 07:32 AM

Antwerp, of course.

leather1026 Mar 18th, 2007 08:54 AM

I agree with livinthelive, Antwerp is not as good as ghent or brugge.