Ghent and Antwerp, a taste of Belgium...itinerary advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am flying into Brussels (BRU) in November before heading on to Paris and Spain for 10 days. I love Belgium, and I have spent time in Bruges before. I wanted to check out some of the other cities of Belgium, including Ghent, Antwerp, and maybe Brussels. I love food, beer, nightlife, and scenery. I was also wondering about the recent construction in Ghent. I'm going to save the art for Spain (already been to Paris 3 times, going to Paris now to shop for Christmas presents!) so I don't get fatigued. If I had 1-2 days, what would you do to see some of Ghent and Antwerp and/or Brussels. I like walking around during the day, and eating/drinking at night. What could I do in the time after I fly in? Thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
yk

Normally, I'd suggest you to stop by St Bavo's in Ghent to see the Mystic Lamb by the van Eyck brothers, but I see that it's undergoing some restoration right now:
http://users.skynet.be/sintbaafskath.../EN_visit.html

We enjoyed a canal ride in Ghent, and just walking around the old center of town. I think the belfry is closed by November, otherwise you can get a nice view from up there.

For Antwerp, there's a nice small botanical garden in the old center. If you like Flemish primitives, I would recommend stopping by Museum Mayer van den Bergh to see its Bruegel paintings. http://museum.antwerpen.be/mayervand...index_eng.html

I also liked the home of Ruben. There aren't that many paintings inside, but you get a glimpse of how he lived.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM

We loved Antwerp. In addition to the Rubenshuis , there is also a wonderful maritime museum along the water front, nearby is the Rockoxhuis, a liveable house of one of Ruben's patrons. The Grote Market and the many churches are worth some time. And for more modern art, the Royal Museum of Fine Arts in more than worthy of a visit. Great eating too!Check out the train station, it is considered one of the most beautiful in Europe.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 07:23 AM

The maritime museum, unfortunately, has closed its doors. It is being moved to a brandnew museum called MAS, that will open its doors on May 17th of next year.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 09:19 AM

If making a canal tour in Ghent, ask for the one that includes the vaulted part ('overwelving') of the Scheldt or Reep or François Laurentplein. It's a stretch of over 150 m, very scenic and beautifully lit. Most other tours are rather short and don't offer much extra as there are so many small towpaths and little squares and parcs all along the Ghent rivers and canals!
http://www.gentblogt.be/wp-content/u...90303_fvdd.jpg