Getting to the Airborne Museum in Arnhem

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to the Airborne Museum in Arnhem

Hi, I need directions to the Airborne Museum near Arnhem. We are arriving via river cruise in Arnhem soon and have a free afternoon. It is my daughter's dearest wish to use this time for a visit to this museum. I assume we want to take a trolleybus. Where, from where the boat is docked, do we find it, which trolley, and how long a trip? Any advance information much appreciated because we don't want to loose a minute of our limited time. Thanks, Judy [email protected]
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:25 AM

judithnorman -

We've been to Arnhem, but not the Airborne Museum, so I am not personally familiar with it, or how to get there. However, I have a guide book which indicates it is located in Oosterbeek, about 4 miles west of Arnhem along route N-225.

Via public transportation, take the GVM regional bus line #1 from Arnhem's NS Station, to Oosterbeek. The museum is located off Utrechtseweg, at the the edge of town. Open year round, from 10:00-17:00 Monday thru Saturday, and 11:00-17:00 on Sundays. Cost - 5 guilders (guide book is from 1996), so probably 2-3 Euros today. Hope this information helps.

If you have the time to visist in Arnhem, stop at the Grote of Eusebiuskerk, and take the elevator to the top of the tower for a wonderful view of the region, including Germany and the river you cruised in on. If you visit in the church, ask to explore in the "basement", where they discovered the ruins of an 11c church, complete with a crypt and bones. It was pretty cool climbing around down there (a little flashlight helps). Enjoy your travels to the Netherlands. It's a beautiful country. Peace.

Robyn
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Leave next week and can hardly wait. Judy
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 04:17 PM

judy -

Have a great journey and safe travels. Please let me know how the Airborne Museum was when you return, and the directions. Peace.

Robyn
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Robyn, Had a wonderful cruise of the Netherlands (what a wonderful way to see this picturesque county) and did find our way to the Airbourne Museum in Arnhem. Thank you both for directions and suggestion that we visit the church there. Didn't get into the basement (don't think the lady at the desk understood us) but went up into the tower. Judy