Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting to Sarria on a Sunday? (from Santiago de Compostella)

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm landing in Barcelona on Saturday afternoon and would like to get to Sarria as early as I can, to start my short Camino.

1. Is there a more efficient way than flying to SdC and taking busses from there to Sarria?

2. Is it true that I need two busses (SdC->Lugo, Lugo->Sarria)? Is there a more efficient way?

3. Are there any trains that stop in Sarria? RENFE's website doesn't seem to recognize this place.

4. Seems like Monbus does not travel on Sunday (at least not to Sarria). Is there a way to get to Sarria on Sunday?

Thanks,
Noam
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM

Hello Noam,

If you go to Renfe website and put Barcelona as the starting place and Lugo as destination , you'll get the overnight Trenhotel. If you click on that train you'll see that the stop before Lugo is Sarria. Like you, I don't understand why when I look for Sarria as destination its not listed there. Maybe somebody else can chime in about that. Or,could you call Renfe?

I believe you do have two take two buses from Santiago to get to Sarria. The company that services Santiago to Lugo is empresafreire.com, it shows buses on Sunday , they leave from the Santiago airport, takes about 2 hrs.
Then I couldn't find the bus from Lugo to Sarria in Monbus.com, but I found this pdf with the info and it also shows buses from Lugo to Sarria on Sundays(although I don't know if this is current): http://sarria.es/pdf/c_lugo.pdf
However, I can't believe there wouldn't be service on Sunday.

Finally, I don't know how much you're willing to spend but if all fails ,maybe you could cab from Lugo to Sarria,it's about 35 kms, so maybe about 50 euros.

Hope you can get it organized, I just did part of the Camino from O'Cebreiro to Santiago. It was quite an experience.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 12:42 AM

More information can be found on http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Hi, Noam,
Just to make sure you've seen the responses to your question on the English camino forum, check out this link:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board...opic15248.html

Cruiseluv is right -- your only train alternative is the overnight trenhotel. If you fly to Santiago and get the bus, you'll need to transfer in Lugo. And there are Sunday buses according to one post there. Buen camino!

p.s. cruiseluv, the forum response shows you how to "find all stations" on RENFE. The main listing just lists the major stations, so more clicking is necessary to pull up the list of all stations in Spain. I've given up buying(or trying to buy) tickets on the RENFE site, though, now that I'm over 60 and can get the "golden age" prices in person.

But even if you are one of the lucky ones who has managed to snag a ticket on RENFE's site, checking schedules is much easier on the German rail site, http://www.deutschebahn.com/en/start.html (I learned that tip from someone here, I believe -- you can find the schedule for Barcelona to Sarria easily there)
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 08:58 AM

Hi lireynold, so glad you chimed in here. Thanks for the Renfe website tips, its a much infuriating website!
I also gave up trying to buy train tickets in Renfe. Last summer I bought my Madrid- Leon tickets in RailEurope at the same fare as Renfe plus 4 euros fee. Worth it to avoid frustration!
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Some question also asked on TA.