Getting to Poros, Hydra, Aegina ...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me best way to get to these islands from Athens? Also, schedules & costs??

Appreciate the help.

Bob
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:46 AM

try www.dolphins.gr You'll find schedules and costs as well as an online reservation system.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:54 AM

sorry, no online reservations. You may purchase tickets either from the ticket booth in the pier or from various travel agencies in Athens.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:05 AM

I would take the ordinary ferries. The Flying Dolphins are twice as fast (and expensive), but the view is very limited from a hydrofoil seat. I would take an ordinary ferry.

The ferry port is within five minutes walk from Pireus metro station. The hydrofoils leave from Zea Marina, maybe 15 minutes walk from Pireus station.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:17 AM

Both ferries and hydrofoils now leave from the main port of Pireas which is very easily reached from Athens by metro. There are several companies running both ferries and hydrofoils, but fares are controlled by the Greek government so will be the same, with fast craft costing more than car ferries. Services to Aegina are frequent, but the longer routes are less frequent. If you're going all the way to Hydra, ships normally leave in the morning around 0800 and later departures are by fast craft. In any case, when you get to Pireas, check departure times and buy a ticket on the quay. I prefer the ships as they have good open deck space and snack bars, while hydrofoils are claustrophobic with limited views.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Did Hydra, Poros, and Aegina in one day...almost. Missed last boat out of Aegina going back to Piraeus at the end of the day. My fault for mis-reading the schedule.
Hydrofoil is the way to go if you need/want to maximize you time on the islands as I did. When I was there 8 years ago, the hydrofoils went out of a different Piraeus harbor than the ferries. Ferries are the cheaper, more sedate and pleasant way to visit the islands. You can buy tickets beforehand while staying in Athens. Subway takes you from Athens to Piraeus.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:42 AM

Bob,

When you go to Aegina, be sure to go to the temple ruin at the top of the mountain. It is fantastic and you'll have it practically to yourself. A taxi driver will take you up and wait while you visit (ours even stopped at an Orthodox cathedral for us to visit on the way back) for about 10 euro. Buy some Greek pistachios to take home. And stop at one of the tavernas along the waterfront. Wait til you see the octopi hanging on the line drying. We met Costa, barbequing octopi with a liberal dousing of his "special sauce". He told us to watch for worldwide introduction of "Costa's Own" soon.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Hey, gang!

Thx for all the great feedback. Really appreciate it.

Bob
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Hmm, I really would like to visit Hydra and Aegina both, but it seems like the ferries between the two are severely limited/non-existent for June 2009. What's the deal? I'd hate to have to choose one or the other.
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM

For many years, there were daily ships from Pireas via Aegina and Poros to Hydra, but now the only services to Hydra are by fast craft. Car ferries still go from Pireas to Aegina and Poros. It seems as though the only way to get from Hydra to Aegina is via Poros or via Pireas.
In any case, visiting more than one island in a day will not allow much time ashore anywhere. You can do it as a day cruise (www.onedaycruise.gr) or you can work out your own itinerary.
This website describes Aegina and the ferries from Pireas:
www.aeginagreece.com