Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting to Malpensa Airport?..Hotels Nearby? What's best?

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 11:08 AM
Scott McDonald

What is the nearest town to Malpensa Airport? How is the best way to get there from Milan for my family of two adults and three teenagers? Do you know a hotel/pension near the airport where we can get fairly easy access to the airport? We're actually staying in Florence for five days before flying back to Heathrow via Malpensa, and though we'd go to Milan for one sleep rather than trying to make Malpensa in one day from Florence. What do you think?

Thanks in advance...

Scott and Family

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 12:23 PM
Paciano Diaz

I would not make the long journey from Florence to Malpensa and then deal with the flight on the same day. The cab ride from Milan to Malpensa cost us about $60.00 dollars. We could have taken a bus but it would have been a lot longer and we did not want to miss our flight. It was a tough one for us too!

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 06:26 PM
Chris

Was near Malpensa in fall of 1998. There are very few hotels in the area. After about 2 hours of trying to find a place to stay we ended up at the Green Leaves Hotel about 10 minutes outside of the airport. It was nice, new and clean and was priced reasonable (I think aroung $100).

It was not a pleasent experience. My advise is to make the arrangements for your final nights stay before you go on your trip. It will save you the trouble I went through.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 06:58 PM
Georgine

We stayed at a lovely 4-star property the night before our flight out of Malpensa. It's located 3 KM from the airport. It's the Cardano Hotel located at the Cardano Sud exit. I have the address , phone and fax--if you need it.
The hotel was an unusual design--shaped lke the letter "C" in the hotel's logo,with rounded corridors and curved balconies and open areas. There was also a great reasonably-priced Italian (of course!!) restaurant in a wooded area about 1/2 mile away called the Al Bosco Ristorante --a great last meal to end the trip.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 07:08 PM
Sally

We stayed at Varenna , Lake Como, the night before our flight from Malpensa. We caught the train at 8:30 am for the forty minute trip to Milan. Then there is a 30-40 minute bus ride to the airport from the train station. Our flight did not leave until 1 pm , so we had plenty of time. We even made a quick trip to see the cathedral before going to the airport. We enjoyed the peace and quiet of Lake Como for the last night of our trip.Varenna is such a small town that you are not more than a 5 minute walk from the train station.

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 12:43 PM
Alan

My wife, sister and brother in law wanted to stay right near the airport last year for an early am flight. There is a great small hotel literally near the runways. Aircrews use it. It is quite nice (upscale)and was perfect. How many rooms and how much would you spend? I have to check the name of the place with my wife, she's out right now. It isn't exactly budget but a nice way to leave Italy. Let me know if it is of interest. I think the name is Malpensa Hotel or Malpensa Inn.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 11:41 AM
Alex

Scott,

Just got back from Italy myself. We stayed in Milan at the Hotel de la Ville. Very nice, great location to see the Duomo, Galleria, and La Scala.

We were there only one night, because we had an early am flight the next day out of Malpensa. If you're in Milan, there is an inexpensive and efficient way to get to Malpensa via train. Take the "Malpensa Express" out of Cadorna station and you will be whisked to Malpensa in 40 - 50 minutes. This is a faster alternative than a car/bus.

Also, if you're flying with Alitalia, show your ticket and it's free. You can even check luggage at the station.

If you need more info, email me.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 01:49 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Scott, The new one referenced above is
called Villa Malpensa and is very nice.
In Gallarte, about :10 away, is the Jet
Hotel--also a 4 star---both are good.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 06:42 PM
Diane Olsen

We were in Italy in September and drove from the Siena area to Milan in one day. We flew out of Malpensa Airport when we returned home.Malpensa is quite a drive from Milan and if during rush hour on a Friday like we did it is bad. We stayed at the Jet Hotel about 10 min. from the airport. Great hotel and excellent accommodations. Their email is [email protected]. Enjoy!

Old Dec 31st, 1999, 06:08 PM
Deena

We stayed at the Villa Malpensa three years ago and enjoyed it very much. It was so nice staying so close to the airport in an lovely villa. We had no difficulties getting to the airport for our early morning flight the next morning.

Old Dec 31st, 1999, 07:12 PM
mariana

There are LOTS of hotels in the area of Centrale Station in Milan. We stayed at the Hotel Atlantic. A bus leaves from
the station to Malpensa every half hour, and it takes about 45 min/ not too expensive either. In one afternoon we took and metro (3 stops) into central milan , and saw the main attractions there. I guess there is also the train from the central part of Milan...from Cardona train station that goes to Malpensa...but hotels in that area might be more dear.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:45 AM
ralphie

During my recent trip to N. Italy, I stayed at a decent two star hotel very close to Malpensa.

It is nothing fancy, but clean, spacious rooms with shower, and a decent staff.

I think we paid 130K - 140K per night.

It is called hotel Cervo. Be aware that there is a separate hotel by the same name in downtown milan.

This hotel looks relatively new, and was still undergoing some renovation while i was there.

It took three minutes to get to Malpensa in the morning, which was great for our early flight. They also have a shuttle service.

You should be able to find their website and email link by going to www.malpensa.it
This is how I found them in the first place.