Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   getting to hotel condotti in rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-to-hotel-condotti-in-rome-824629/)

asdfghjkl Feb 2nd, 2010 05:39 AM

getting to hotel condotti in rome

hi there, will be taking a flight from london to rome, have not booked yet so not sure which airport i will arrive in but how can i get to the hotel?

the hotel has offered a airport transfer for 60,00 Euro for 2 people.. would taking a taxi be cheaper? what other options do i have?

thanks!

Zerlina Feb 2nd, 2010 05:51 AM

That is far, far too high. The taxi fares are due to go up soon by 5 Euro, but at the moment it's still 40 Euro from Fiumicino and 30 Euro from Ciampino. The taxi drivers at Ciampino are sometimes a little reluctant to honor the fixed rate...

There is an express train from FCO for 11 Euro per person, and SIT Bus Shuttle (Google it) runs buses from both FCO and CIA.

tarquin Feb 2nd, 2010 06:02 AM

Agree with Zerlina, for two people a taxi would be cheaper, and no waiting to collect/disgorge other shuttle users.

NYCFoodSnob Feb 2nd, 2010 07:45 AM

Much like NYC, a taxi is a taxi. You take your chances on the number of people standing in lines, the scent of the driver, his honesty, and his ability to speak any English. There are less expensive car services in Rome and some of them have a presence on the internet. It helps to speak a little Italian but it's not necessary. Rome's reputable hotels use high quality car services: the cars are comfortable luxury and many of the drivers are dressed in a suit and speak a little English. I haven't taken a taxi from the airport in over 16 years. I prefer a private car service.

ThinGorjus Feb 2nd, 2010 10:58 AM

Keith and I were just in Rome, sweetie darling. We took the Leonardo Express from Fiumacino to Termini for 11 Euros each. It was as easy as pie. You go to the tabacco shop at the train station in the airport to buy your tickets, walk over to the middle track, stamp your tickets in the YELLOW machine, get on the train, and soon you will be in Rome.

You can then get a taxi from Termini to your hotel. Your hotel is not all that far away from Termini. I can't see you paying more than 10 euros for your fare.

So, 10 + 11 + 11 = 32 euros

Thin, who thinks it is ridiculous to be afraid of taxis

robertino Feb 2nd, 2010 11:27 AM

... or you could take the subway from Termini to Spagna and walk a couple of short blocks to your hotel.

It's been several years for me now - is there still that non-existent line / queue for taxis at Termini? You know, the one where your ability to get a cab is determined not by when you got there but rather by how willing and able you are to shove others aside?

ThinGorjus Feb 2nd, 2010 11:57 AM

We got our taxi on the Via Giolitti, not at the front of Termini. There was no line at all.

Termini is nothing to be afraid of. Keith and I did much of our grocery shopping at Conad in Termini. We were staying at the St. Regis Grand, so it was just a short walk away. There are lots of shops in Termini, Sephora for example.

Thin, who is huge fan of Diane Arbus

asdfghjkl Feb 2nd, 2010 04:27 PM

thank you all for your replies, it has been very helpful! :)

kybourbon Feb 2nd, 2010 04:36 PM

The new Sit Bus Shuttle is 4€ from Ciampino to Termini or 8€ from FCO to Termini.
http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/index.ph...mid=55&lang=en

NYCFoodSnob Feb 2nd, 2010 07:55 PM

<i><font color=#777777>"We took the Leonardo Express from Fiumacino to Termini for 11 Euros each."</font></i>

It's such a great service. I took it once, bag-less, to see a child off to Paris. I was in the mood for an adventure.

Sit Bus Shuttle sounds better than the Malpensa Express. Rome is closer to FCO.

Still, in Rome, I prefer door-to-door service provided by a handsome Italian driving a big, black car. My legs look good getting out of a big, black car. I think it's fun to make an entrance in Rome. :-)