Getting to Car Rental Agency in Venice

Oct 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Getting to Car Rental Agency in Venice

We will be arriving at Marco Polo Airport and need to pick up our rental car in Venice (496-H Piazzale Roma)on a Sunday morning. Suggestions on how to get there from the airport?
Seperate issue - What do you do to cover your feet, and preserve your shoes, when it is raining in Venice. Thanks
Oct 1st, 2007, 09:59 AM

There is a bus directly from the airport to Piazzele Roma, which would show you nothing of Venice but be quick and inexpensive. If you want to spend some money (approx $100) you could take a water taxi and see the Bacino and the Grand Canal.

Don;t understand why you're asking about shoes in Venice - if you're going from the airport directly to the car rental you won;t be stopping in Venice.

If staying in Venice it doesn't make any sense to rent a car until you leave.

As for covering your shoes - it rains almost everywhere in europe and you don;t cover them - you just make sure you have sturdy walking shoes that are water resistant - two pairs so one can dry while you wear the other.

(If you mean what happens at aqua alta - when the water is really high - your hotel will usually lend you rubber boots.)
Oct 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

I was trying to be a bit to brief I guess. We will be arriving in Venice and staying with my daughter in Aviano before we go to Germany for a week. So thats why we need the car. We won't be in a hotel in Italy so can't borrow the rubber boots. We expect higher tides (84 and 89 from what I have been able to understand from the web site I looked at), so thought we would do something to protect our shoes - at least mine. My husband and son probably don't care.
Thanks for the info on the bus. We will take that to get the car and then come back to visit Venice on the train. Is the bus easy to find at the airport?
Oct 1st, 2007, 11:09 AM

Hello zgidenver, here is the website for the MarcoPolo Venice airport. You will find the English flag in the upper right of the screen which will give you the English translation. I hope this helps you with your trip. Sounds like your daughter is in the miitary (or her husband). Best wishes to them and enjoy your time with your family and in beautiful Italy.

http://www.veniceairport.it/core/ind...questid=595888
Oct 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM

It is very easy. Buy your ticket inside because the machine outside is broken and it will pull up right out front. The blue bus is 3 euro each and you can store luggage below.
Oct 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM

Is there a reason why you're not picking up the car at the airport?
Oct 1st, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice. Yes my daughter is in the Airforce and we can't wait to see her. We got our rental car through the military and there was a $200 surcharge to pick up at the airport. But it sounds pretty easy to get to the car agency. Thanks again for the great advice.