Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting to and from Cortona (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-to-and-from-cortona-175388/)

Vita Aug 14th, 2001 08:33 AM

Getting to and from Cortona

Hi, all. I am having so much fun planning this trip! I am spending one night in Cortona and was planning on booking a train from Rome. <BR> <BR>Questions: <BR>1) Is it better to arrive in Camucia or Terontola station to get to Cortona? <BR> <BR>2) I will be leaving for Florence the next day and wanted to leave my departure open. However, it isn't worth it if I'm going to have to wait in line for several hours. I know that buses go to Florence from Cortona. Is it better to take the bus or train from Cortona to Florence? How difficult will it be to buy a ticket for either that day?

Steve James Aug 16th, 2001 01:08 AM

Topping for Vita

Santa Chiara Aug 16th, 2001 01:43 AM

The Terontola station is 11 km from Cortona and the Camucia station is 5 km . From there, you take a bus to Cortona. Terentola usually serves as the station for the faster trains (ES and IC), while Camucia is usually for the regionale or diretto (direct trains, which aren't direct at all.) The train schedules can be obtained from the official timetable www.trenitalia.com. <BR> <BR>I would advise taking a fast train from Rome. <BR> <BR>I do not understand by what you mean by standing in line. However, the train stations are small, so you shouldn't have to stand in line. Depending on what time of year you are going, however, you may very well end up standing on the train if you don't have reservations. In all likelihood, you will also stop in Arezzo. I would advise against depending on bus from Cortona to Florence; their schedules are even more quixotic. <BR> <BR>Good luck, and have a great time in Cortona, one of my favorite towns, in spite of Frances Mayes.

Vita Aug 16th, 2001 04:45 AM

What does 'Topping for Vita' mean?

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Aug 16th, 2001 04:57 AM

Vita, Why Cortona ? There are several other villages in Tuscany or Umbria than are equally nice and much easier to access. Do not let the book cloud your judgment.

Gail Aug 16th, 2001 06:47 AM

Hi Vita - Cortona is one of my favorite hilltowns. The people are sooo friendly and the views are just incredible of the beautiful Tuscan countryside. <BR> <BR>If you arrive in Camucia, a bus or taxi will take you up the hill to Cortona. Some of the local people use their personal cars for a taxi service. This is safe. They are very proud of their area and will give you a running commentary all the way up! The train station is very small and usually not very busy. I would just buy my train ticket to Florence then for the next day, or at least check the schedule. You can also buy train tickets in Cortona at the Tourist Information Office on Via Nationale (the main street) if you want to wait. The train to Florence takes 1 hour and 15 minutes, and there are quite a few trains daily. <BR> <BR>The next day take the bus or a taxi back to the train station. <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio! You are in for such a treat! <BR> <BR>

Vita Aug 16th, 2001 07:22 AM

Why Cortona? Because I think I'll be in the mood for a mountain getaway where there's nothing to do but walk around, eat, drink and look at the scenery after 5 nights in Rome and the next 8 in Florence. I've already booked my hotels so there's nothin' left but the cryin'. Tante grazie for all the advice.

Cortonalover Aug 16th, 2001 08:40 AM

You will have a WONDERFUL time in Cortona. We have been there twice in the past 3 years and are returning next year with our adult children. The town is just large enough to be interesting but small enough to be navigable on foot. The restaurants are good in a number of price ranges. There is a wonderful Etruscan museum. I have not visited it yet because I am saving it for a rainy day. I prefer walking up to the upper town and taking in all the beautiful vistas. If you're lucky the students from the Univ of GA will be sculpting in the garden on the way up the hill to Santa Marghuerita. <BR> <BR>We have visited a number of hill towns in Tuscany and Umbria but Cortona is always "home".

topsy Apr 1st, 2002 02:05 PM

topping for Cortona info