Getting the most out of Milan

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three thirty(ish) year old girlees are getting into Milan one Friday lunchtime soon and leaving on the Sunday lunchtime for an extremely cosmopolitan weekend! Are there any places we'd be silly to miss? Are there any reccomendations for sightseeing / shopping / bars / restaurants etc, that we can squeeze into such a whistle-stop trip? We're flying into and out of Bergamo so will have a car (so is there anything en-route to the city we shoud not miss)? Staying in a central hotel near Duomo.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:40 AM
DRJ

My wife and I stayed a few days in Bergamo last spring and enjoyed the main square and a dinner at Hotel Gourmet. As for Milan, do not miss Peck, the best food and wine emporium in the world. Its a few blocks from the Duomo.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:17 AM

many of the most interesting places of Milano are off the touristic route. One of my favorites is Certosa di Garegano, a XV century monastry on the outskirts of Milano. You can get there with the tram number 14 that leaves from near piazza Duomo. Ask the driver to call you as you near via Garegnano and do not be put off by the extremely depressing area you will find yourself in: the tram stops right by via Garegnano, and you will have to walk off the depressing main street for about 100 meters. The Certosa is open to visits only for a few hours in the morning and in the early afternoon. Also, make sure to have time for a long walk in the Navigli area.
For moving around Milano, get yourself the two days passes issued by ATM, that are valid on any bus, tram or subway in Milano, they are sold at newstands.
Finally, you do not ned a car. From Bergamo airport there are buses to Milano every hour, and in Milano, belive me, I live here, you do not WANT to have a car (I do not have it, actually I do not even have a driving licence!).
Old May 23rd, 2003, 11:20 AM

The Last Supper! Buy tickets in advance. You only get to stay inside 15 minutes or so and it's within walking distance of the Duomo. Our whole family loved it!

Also, touring the Duomo including the rooftop. ciao . . .
Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:26 PM

Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:31 PM

Milan has one of the great, if not the greatest, high-fashion shopping areas in the world. If you're staying near the Duomo, then you walk there.