Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   getting out of manchester and where to go???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-out-of-manchester-and-where-to-go-836426/)

minkie Apr 19th, 2010 11:56 AM

getting out of manchester and where to go????

Ok here I go again...volcano trouble - I am now booked on a flight to Manchester - my original destination was London and everything was preplanned for that...Now I am thinking I might just stay up there but I don't want to stay in Manchester -pls help - I have no idea I just know I am going....

PatrickLondon Apr 19th, 2010 11:59 AM

Peak District? Lake District? North Wales? You could even get a coach to London if the train's too expensive.

minkie Apr 19th, 2010 12:13 PM

Where to even start - I did a huge whole itinerary for London and then the south and now this - going solo - not gonna be easy...

bilboburgler Apr 19th, 2010 12:22 PM

you on car or train/bus?

If looking for cities, you have Liverpool, manchester, Leeds, York going West to East. Options of Lincoln, Lancaster.

Then you have lake district, Hadrian's Wall, Howarth, The Dales, North York National Park.

Hastobe_Katt Apr 19th, 2010 12:24 PM

Manchester is a major city with conections all over the UK. You could go to York (just over an hour), Chester (an hour), the Yorkshire Dales, Liverpool (The Beatles Museum, The Docks etc). There is a wonderful variety of places to see outside London - enjoy!

Hastobe_Katt Apr 19th, 2010 12:25 PM

Actually I think you are pretty lucky - you escaped the big smoke and will now see the real England!

minkie Apr 19th, 2010 12:28 PM

So any suggestions then - can I take a train straight to York from the airport - with all the air traffic chaos I am afraid to prebook anything....

Hastobe_Katt Apr 19th, 2010 12:43 PM

Manchester Airport (MIA) to York (YRK) takes 1 3/4 hrs ad costs £26 each way.

For tickets: http://www.virgintrains.co.uk

Hastobe_Katt Apr 19th, 2010 12:44 PM

UK trains are expected to be back to normal in next 24hours or so.

Hastobe_Katt Apr 19th, 2010 12:45 PM

Oops that should have said UK <b>planes</b>!

sashh Apr 19th, 2010 09:02 PM

Have at least a day in Manchester.

Have a look at the royal exchange theatre and Manchester Art Gallery, do some shopping both in the centre then take a tram to the lowry for more(discounted) shopping and maybe a show (The full monty is on 20-24th).

Then get the tram back for dinner in China town followed by a drink or two in the gay village.

mmmmmm maybe I should pay another visit myself.

WillTravel Apr 19th, 2010 09:05 PM

Buses are probably booked up, but do try MegaBus and NationalExpress. It`s quite likely they have increased service, and I think the trip from Manchester to London is only a few hours.

Cowboy1968 Apr 19th, 2010 09:30 PM

If your heart and plans are set for London, why not go there from Manchester AP? It's a simple 2 1/2 hr train ride from MAN airport station to London with just one change at Manchester Piccadilly station.

flanneruk Apr 19th, 2010 09:32 PM

Have I missed something here?

You wanted to go to London. You're two hours away by the world's most frequent inter-city train.

So why aren't you just getting on a train and going where you want to?

Granted, Manchester's surrounded by places that are worthwhile visiting. But you didn't plan going there. So why bother?

flanneruk Apr 19th, 2010 09:36 PM

PS.

I suppose you might be thinking like an American, and assuming the absence of planes means trains will be full.

On an average day, the number of plane passengers betwen London and Manchester is about the same as the numer of train passengers in a typical hour. Cancelled planes might inflate train prices a bit: they have no significant effect on train availability. Anyway, you can always stand.

minkie Apr 19th, 2010 10:24 PM

Actually - no not thinking like an American at all - I am Spanish - but thanks

bilboburgler Apr 20th, 2010 12:40 PM

the train station is in the airport. Station is in centre of york. Its very easy. York has its walls, a great cathedral and other fine buildings. Go for it

minkie Apr 20th, 2010 03:26 PM

Thank you - still here -- who knows when the flights will be leaving...

Saraho Apr 20th, 2010 03:53 PM

ttt

bratsandbeer Apr 20th, 2010 07:05 PM

Northen Wales would be great if you can rent a car.