Getting out of Fiumicino airport in time

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting out of Fiumicino airport in time

My flight is due to arrive in Rome at 7.30pm and I would like to travel onward by train from the station at Fiumicino airport, leaving Rome till later in my trip. However, am a bit nervous about making my train at about 9pm (last one) I know there is no exact answer but could anyone give me an idea of how long it might take me to complete immigration and baggage collection? Is the train station convenient to the air terminals?
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:19 PM

We just got back from Rome and the train station isn't too far from the gate...maybe about a 15-20 minute walk. I suppose it would depend on when you are flying in. We were there during Easter and FCO was crazy. If you have checked bags, that may also delay you somewhat. But its a quick walk...all inside the airport. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for prompt reply checkerspot. I will be arriving August 28th. Do you mean the station is within the airport? As in indoors?
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 12:43 AM

Read this post for info on the Airport Train Station. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34808734

I'm alittle confused I just woke-up but do you know that the Airport Train Station has basically just local commuter train lines leaving from it to Rome and the surrounding area?
To catch an onward train say to Florence, Venice, etc you must go into Rome itself.
A non-stop train runs to/from the Airport to Termini Train Station (~30min & 2x per hr).
Regards, Walter
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:26 AM
ira

Hi G,

You have to go to Rome TE.

On our last visit, our plane was scheduled to land at 08:00.

We got to the head of the tracks at Rome TE at 11:30.

Baggage was delayed for 1:15 hr.

Even if you have only carryon, that is a very tight connection, as it takes 0:30 hr to get to Rome TE.

The shuttle runs only on the :06 and the :36, so it could take you 1 hr to get to Rome.

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Walter and Ira. Very helpful. Actually though, there is a regional train that leaves from the airport and goes further north in Lazio. However, if luggage can take that long it is still a very tight connection, dont you think, especially as 9pm is the last train? I'm going to be tired too after a flight from Japan (having travelled up the day before from Australia)If I decide its too risky I will have to rethink my plans.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:01 AM

greynomad: Are you saying that you want to take a regional/ suburban train from FCO airport at 9 pm?

Or that you want to take a train from Termini (downtown Rome) at 9 pm?

If the latter, it is theoretically possible to make that connection. But everything would have to line up perfectly -- flight on time, no delay with baggage, tickets purchased in advance or with no delay at the ticket machine/ counter, Leonardo express to Termini ready to depart when you are....

(I don't mention immigration or customs because I have entered Italy without even showing my passport, most recently at FCO in March, 2008)

If, however, you mean that your train leaves FCO at 9 pm, that seems perfectly feasible -- provided your flight is on time. That's the big variable.

The train station is very convenient to the terminal. Certainly no need to go outdoors -- though you need to take an escalator down, then another up, to pass under an airport roadway.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM

I am hoping that you are just trying to get to Rome. Because if you are trying to go somewhere else, you'll have to go to Termini. Yes it is inside the airport. You won't have to go outside...just follow the signs. In fact, if you get lost somehow, it shares the same passageway (a series of people movers) as the Hilton Rome Airport and the Rental Car companies. It is about 22 Euros for two adults and two kids (my kids are 11 and 9)...one way. Have fun and good luck.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I want to get a train from Fiumicino airport to Poggio Mirteto in Lazio about an hour or so away. It does leave from the airport and goes via Termini but my hotelier says I do not have to change.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The last train to Poggio Mirteto from Fiumicino leaves at 5:27 p.m. Here's the timetable:

http://www.adr.it/content.asp?Subc=1362&L=3&idMen=731
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Ask your hotel if taking the train to Fara Sabina (departures up to 11:00 p.m.) and then a taxi to Poggio Mirteto would make sense. Would there be cabs at the Fara Sabina station that late in the evening?

When I checked the two towns on Mapquest, it said they were only 11 miles apart (Viamichelin said 12 km.), but you should have the hotel confirm.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 07:14 AM
ira

Hi G,

> It does leave from the airport and goes via Termini but my hotelier says I do not have to change.

According to
www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
the last train to Poggio Mirteto leaves at 22:27.

When you exit Customs at FCO, follow the signs that show a picture of a train.

Buy your ticket at the station.

Do NOT take the Leonardo da Vinci express shuttle to Rome TE.

You want the other platform for the train that goes to Rome Tiburtina.

You won't have to change trains.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM

I don't know how I failed to get those search results on Trenitalia, but thanks to Ira for the better info. I wonder, though, if the FM1 to Fara Sabina and taxi to Poggio Mirteto would be faster. I assume you'd need a cab at the Poggio Mirteto station anyway.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Tedgale, did you fly to FCO from another Schengen country? I'm trying to figure out how you otherwise would have bypassed immigration. But if you did come from another Schengen country, then it makes sense.