Getting of train in Prague

Old Jun 20th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting of train in Prague

We will be traveling from Budapest to Berlin. The train stops in Prague, and I'm wondering if we can hop off, see the city for a few hours, then catch a later train in to Berlin. I know, this isn't ideal, but it's totally spur of the moment. Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Which station? Nadrazi (the main one) or Holesovice?
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:04 PM

Yes if you buy either a full-fare ticket Budapest to Prague you usually can get on and off at will but discounted tickets do not allow this - you can obviously buy a ticket Budapest to Prague then another Prague to Berlin - that may be cheaper because if you go to www.bahn.de/en you can get fares as low as 29 euros Prague to Berlin for a specific train at a specific time.

Might be the best solution as you can get a discounted Budapest to Prague ticket too probably or simply buy full fare tickets.

For lots on trains and rules check www.seat61.com (great advice on discounted tickets and how to book) and for general info www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

try to get a train from Budapest that goes into the main Prague station near the town center - there is another main station well out of the center (sorry can't keep station names right!)

There may be an overnight train Budapest to Prague - save time and cost of a hotel and spend more time in Prague.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Lemme look....
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

We are in EC 172 departing Budapest at 0725
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

It has stops at two stations in Prague.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:09 PM

do you have a full-fare or discounted ticket? - again discounted tickets rarely IME provide for breaking a journey and are train-specific. Where did you buy the ticket?
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Prague has a good subway / tram system. Take the best train from Budapest to Prague and just use the tram or subway to get around Prague for a few hours. The main train station as I recall is far from the old town where you'd want to spend your time. If you have smart phones that will work in Europe with data, just use Google Maps to figure out how to get around (i.e. how do I get from the train station to the old town - which tram or subway and how do I walk there from here?).

Prague is a great walking city. I would walk around the old town a little, then walk over (west) the Charles bridge into Mala Strana and up the hill to the castle; there's a tram that takes you from there back into town so you don't have to walk down. Better yet, do it in the other direction, so you can walk DOWN the hill from the castle into Mala Strana, across the Charles Bridge, and into the old town...

Shame you only get to spend a few hours - Prague is a wonderful city, one of my favorites in Europe.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Full-fare ticket purchased to Deutsch Bahn. I understand I will have to pay for another ticket from Prague to Berlin, I'm just wondering if there are trains to take. We leave Budapest at 0725, and arrive Prague h.l at approx. 1420 and Prague Holesovie a few minutes later, before arriving in Berlin about 1820 (I think). I would just hate to get off then realize there are no more trains to Berlin. Even a few hours in Prague would be cool. And which of the stations would be best to get off at? I googled one and saw its a very short walk to old town and the clock. Thanks!!
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Sorry if I'm confusing everyone. Let me clarify... I have already purchased tickets on EC 172 Budapest to Berlin. I would like to know a) which station in Prague to get off to do a quick tour of old town; and b) will there be trains later in the day (after 1600) to catch to continue on to Berlin? I have no problem buying the ticket from Prague to Berlin and absorbing the cost of other trip we wouldn't complete. Thanks again!
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:28 PM

Use https://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml to check the train schedule from Prague to Berlin the day of departure.

I'd get off at the main station (Prague Hl. N.). It's maybe a 25 minute walk into the old town but not really that scenic as I recall. You can take a tram or a couple of subway connections into the old town and save the walking for the old town + to/from the castle.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 08:40 AM

If you've seen that the main train station is relatively near Old Town square, what more do you want to know? That would be the one where you'd get off. HOlesovice is north of the river, that wouldn't make sense to get off there.

It isn't that long a walk but if it isn't much trouble, you could first buy a metro ticket and get off at Staromestska which isn't far fro the bridge. SO you could see that and then wander back to Old Town square. The problem is the metro line isn't direct from the train station, you have to transfer at Muzeum.

If you walk, it's about 2 km to the bridge but you might want to sightsee and walk down Wenceslas Square to see it, as it's so famous. It only takes you out of the way just a bit.

It's hard to say without knowing what date you are going or day of week, but generally there should be an EC train at 14:27 and again at 16:27 and then an IC at 18:27. There are no trains after that direct to Berlin.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 10:49 AM

If you have a full-fare ticket can't you get off and on at will? Why buy another ticket Prague to Berlin?