Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting married in Santorini (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-married-in-santorini-724090/)

ilovegreece Jul 26th, 2007 03:50 PM

Getting married in Santorini

Hi,
We are getting married in Santorini next year. We have an amazing wedding planner but are still trying to decide on our ceremony & reception venue. Any help & opinions would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!
Christina & Michael

ANTONIOU WINERY
At first glance, we really liked Antoniou Winery. However, were very disappointed to find out that beer & mixed drinks are outrageously expensive. Sure you get all of their wine that you want (unlimited consumption) but our guests will not just want wine... I can't see any reason why a mixed drink would be 15-20 euro each! So I think we are moving away from Antoniou based on that.

SELENE RESTAURANT
Our planner suggested this restaurant among other places. It looks pretty, but I read a review on this forum from an editor that wasn't so great... That concerns me. Any opinions on this place would be appreciated.

SANTO WINERY
I've seen photographs of this winery and it looks nice. Any experience?

Any other places that you can recommend???

Thank you!

Gaspard Jul 26th, 2007 10:02 PM

And you are not looking for more unbiased photos of the Santo Winery?

cjsg Jul 27th, 2007 07:16 AM

I was in Santorini last May on my honeymoon. My husband and I toured a bunch of wineries and we were least impressed by far by the Santo Winery. Yes, the views of the island and the caldera are amazing, but the winery itself just felt like a tourist trap and the staff were uninterested in providing us any background about their wines. Our favorite winery was Sigalas, which is right outside of Oia on the back side (i.e., non-cliff side) of the island. Beautiful setting (you actually feel like you're at a winery) and cheerful, friendly staff. And their wine was good too!!

jaclynpoulson Jul 27th, 2007 11:21 AM

I got married last summer at Ag. Irini Chapel ... simple location, beautiful view. But, if you want your recption and wedding at the same location, this probably isn't for you.

djkbooks Jul 27th, 2007 11:26 AM

If you get Food Network, be sure to watch "Giada in Paradise: Santorini". Awesome!

TexasAggie Jul 27th, 2007 12:14 PM

Hi ilovegreece,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Not to throw a damper on your wedding planning, but how many guests do you really expect to attend the wedding? DH and I had a destination wedding too, and although we initially had a LOT of folks swear they were coming, many people were in the end, unable to come. As in MANY people.

So... I'd hate for you to be planning your wedding around guests that may not even end up coming.

My advice would be to plan YOUR dream wedding. The guests that do attend will be able to get mixed drinks all over the island, any other day of their trip. I truly can't imagine they would complain about the drinks at your reception, as they will be too busy celebrating your special day with you!

propertravel Jul 29th, 2007 07:27 AM

I agree with TexasAggie, regarding your guests being entertained.....If you choose wine they will have wine and water....
I have seen a wedding at Fanari Villas , was fantstic with the backdrop view.
Congratulations and good luck,
Murat