Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

getting married in Ravello, but thinking of staying in Positano...dumb idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Positano is more acessible to rest of the coast and sites and seems to have more "going on"...

Will it be too difficult and time-consuming on our wedding day to travel to Ravello from Positano? What is the best way to go?

THANKS AGAIN!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:26 PM

I bet alot of people would envy your dilemma, most people worry about which Elks Lodge to rent in Anytown.

I would suggest having a driver transport you back and forth to and from the wedding, the bus might be too crowded and someone will step on your train.

It is a beautiful ride from Ravello to Positano, enjoy.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Those people at the Elks Lodge in Anytown are probably spending tens of thousands of dollars more than we are at our six-person wedding in Italy
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:49 PM

I don't understand your question, if not using a private driver or pre-arranged taxi, what would you use, surely not public transportation which consists of a SITA bus?
Your hotel should be able to help you arrange a taxi.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

ok, i take a cab or hire a driver.

How long does it take between the two towns and how much (approx.) do cabs or drivers cost?

thanks.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:00 PM

I would give it an hour or more depending on the time of year and traffic. It would cost about 50euro or a little more I would think. You could also take a ferry between Positano and Amalfi and then take a taxi up to Ravello.

I would keep it simple if I were you and trying to make it to my own wedding, hire a driver or like I said arrange with your hotel to have a cab pick you up at a definite time.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:02 PM

ps: it is best in my opinion to have your hotel arrange this as they can tell from experience how long the trip will take on the day you want to travel.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:16 PM

I would not recommend staying in positano. We were in ravelllo for our 10th anniversary last year and drove down to positano. The positano streets are curvy and congested. A one way loop goes through the main part of town and if your hotel is at the beginning of the loop, you could spend a 1/2 an hour just getting out of town. Secondly, Positano was incredibly disappointing in comparison to Ravello. If you are concerned about cost, there are medium priced places there, if its about timing, Ravello has two outlets, one down to the coast (not too hard) and another to the main highway which can get you to Pompeii, Naples and other towns. I highly encourage you to stay in ravello, it'll be worth it.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:26 AM

Yeah, I think getting married in Ravello and staying in Positano is a bad idea. The connection between the two towns, even via car & driver is over winding, slow roads, and with any traffic at all (and in summer there would be a lot of traffic) it'll be a crawl.

I second the idea of a couple of others to just stay in Ravello. I wouldn't go to either Positano or Ravello expecting much "action," i.e. night life. The reward in both places is spectacular scenery and a peaceful, soothing atmosphere. More of the latter in Ravello, in my view. Both towns are small, but unlike Positano Ravello has a real center, i.e. a level piazza in the center of town. There are several pleasant smaller hotels in Ravello, but book early for a stay any time between June 15 and October 1.

Ciao!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:09 AM

Ravello has to be your choice for staying in prior to your wedding and then maybe a few days honeymoon in Positano or Capri.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:44 AM
ira

Hi nina,

It's not a dumb idea. I suggest that you spend your wedding night (and perhaps one more) in Ravello.

You can then decide at liesure how you would want to get to Positano (bus or ferry from Amalfi)or Capri or Ischia.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:52 AM

Beware of the unexpected! The road between Positano and Ravello was closed for a Ferrari race the Sunday morning we wanted to get from Positano to Ravello. Europeans sometimes just close down main roads for which there are no alternatives.