Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Getting into London from Heathrow (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-into-london-from-heathrow-458448/)

nocalalan Jul 9th, 2004 08:13 AM

Getting into London from Heathrow

We're arriving on a 7am flight into Heathrow Monday morning, going to a hotel near the S Kensingon tube station. The question is whether to take the tube at that hour of the day or ???. What have been your experiences and recommendations?
thx, alan

annaj Jul 9th, 2004 08:19 AM

Take the tube. You are guaranteed a seat and will avoid all the traffic.

travelbunny Jul 9th, 2004 08:21 AM

..take the tube (assuming you are travelling light)..another option is the rail link...very fast but more expensive...I would avoid taxi as rush hour..(unless holiday and big budget or a 4 people).I think there have been MANY similar querries and you can type heathrow into the box and get lots more info..have fun

Joe_in_Silver_Spring Jul 9th, 2004 08:25 AM

Here's the Heathrow information site for getting there and back by the Tube: http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/h...ere_frame.html

Grasshopper Jul 9th, 2004 08:56 AM

Nobody has mentioned Heathrow Express. It cost 12 GBP one way and takes about 20 minutes to get to Paddington. From there I take a taxi and get a fun minitour for less than 10 GBP.

m_kingdom2 Jul 9th, 2004 08:58 AM

It's early in the morning, you're going to hit rush hour!

For 40GBP take Aircars2000.com straight from the airport to your hotel hassle free.

P_M Jul 9th, 2004 09:02 AM

I took the tube once and it was less expensive than any other option, but it seemed like the ride was close to an hour. When we arrived at Victoria Station we had to carry our bags up the stairs. For some people this would be no problem, but if you would have difficulty with this, I don't recommend the tube. Personally I would do the Heathrow Express then a cab.

xyz123 Jul 9th, 2004 09:09 AM

The value of the Heathrow Express is somewhat diluted by the fact once you arrive at Paddington you still need what might be a long taxi ride especially during rush hours.

Despite the nay sayers, there is nothng wrong with taking the tube; especially to S Kensington as the Picadilly line stops there. You will be gettong on the train at the start so you will certainly get a seat and the cars have room for baggage. As you come in towards central London, the train will crowd up but so what, you will be sitting.

Do remember that you will have some stairs to navigate at South Kensington; I believe you will have a lift to near street level as the Picadilly line is in a deep tube there.

If you can manage your baggage without too much trouble, there is nothing wrong with the tube.

taggie Jul 9th, 2004 09:17 AM

The tube is really a good option for S. Ken as long as your luggage isn't too much. You will annoy people if huge suitcases are blocking aisles and taking up seats. Park yourselves as out of the way as possible, by the set of doors that is opposite the platform, and you'll be fine. It goes by fairly quickly, and a good portion of the ride is above ground too.

Kayb95 Jul 9th, 2004 09:44 AM

We always take the tube into London. As long as you can handle your luggage up a flight of stairs, the tube is a great way to get into London inexpensively.

It will take you about an hour - but your hotel room probably isn't ready yet anyway. And the Heathrow Express advertises Heathrow to Paddington in 15 minutes. That may be true, but waiting for the train, the ride in, then either taking a taxi or the tube from Paddington will amount to about the same time as the tube.

m_kingdom2 Jul 9th, 2004 09:48 AM

You're tired after a long flight, in a strange city, and you want to start going on one of the most uncomfortable, dirty and crowded train systems in the world?

mberry Jul 9th, 2004 09:52 AM

I had the same question and after reading foder's posts, decided the tube would be the best option. One post included the following tube link, which allows you to enter your departure and arrival stops and get detailed instructions:

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/cgi-bin/tpquery3.exe

ron Jul 9th, 2004 09:59 AM

Well, m k2, I have taken the tube in from Heathrow 8 times since 1994. Perhaps I was so tired that I didn't notice how uncomfortable, dirty and crowded it was. But I do notice that I saved over £250 over the period and that the money was put towards things a lot more important to me than transportation.

Kayb95 Jul 9th, 2004 10:00 AM

<i>&quot;You're tired after a long flight, in a strange city, and you want to start going on one of the most uncomfortable, dirty and crowded train systems in the world?&quot;</i>

If it saves me lots of money, that's a definite yes. Not all of us can afford a chauffeur driven limo to our Mayfair apartment, Prince Philip. :D

And London's underground system is a lot cleaner than the underground systems in most other major cities.

Grasshopper Jul 9th, 2004 10:06 AM

MK, I looked at the website you referenced but there was no indication of price. Every other car service seems to be in the 50 to 60 GBP range. This one is really 40 GBP?

I'll be arriving at 7 am on Thurs. and I surely won't be riding the tube. I'm taking my niece for her graduation gift and the tube isn't the greatest first impression. I've found Heathrow Express to be a great, comfortable, clean alternative (faster than a taxi) and I really enjoy the short taxi ride from Paddington through the Serpentine as my first glimpse at London.

The tube gives me terrible claustrophobia. For some reason the H. Express doesn't. Probably because most of it is above ground.

xyz123 Jul 9th, 2004 10:06 AM

to m kingdom2

Now if I were arriving in Frankfurt say it might pain me to take an underground u bahn train as I don't speak a word of German (well may be a word or 2)

The fact is that believe it or not the language of the UK is......English. All signs are in English, the Underground personnel speak.....English. London is far from strange.

The Underground signs in the various terminals at Heathrow are very clear, there are some moving walkways. You bravely march up to the clerk in the booking office and make your needs known (BTW you can buy 7 day passes at Heathrow with extensions for that day or you can buy, if it is after 930, an all day pass which makes the trip in from Heathrow even cheaper.

So you bravely march down to the platform, as tired as hell probably and if you are terminal 1,2 or 3, there will be a train waiting. If it is crowded, amble across to the opposite platfor, put your luggage in the luggage areas provided on the carriages on these trains, plop yourself into a seat and relax. The Picadilly line runs express from Acton Town to Hammersmith, suddenly you will be at Barons Court, then Earls Court, then Gluester Rd and voila South Kensington. The signs are clearly marked in.......English. You will see signs on the train telling you the train is headed for Cockfosters (love that name). At several stops you will hear a recording telling you to mind the gap. You will hear annoucements saying this train is ready to depart. Mind the closing doors. And guess what...all the annoucements will be in....English.

London is really a great European city for Americans to start in because throughout the city you will see lots of tributes to our common heritage like it or not. You will see lots of McDonalds, Burger Kings, KFC's, 7-11's, Pizza Huts and the food will taste exactly the same. Lots of great differences, of course, but you will rarely get home sick in London. And when you get to your hotel and turn on the telly, guess what.....most of the stations will be in.....English. You can even watch the Weakest Link with the same brash woman who did the show when it was on in America.

I just don't buy all these admonitions about travelling to London. Now, if we are talking about Paris or Frankfurt, I might buy into being apprehensive about public transportation. But come on guys, not in London.

LolaLasagne Jul 9th, 2004 10:09 AM

We loved the London tube..fast, fairly cheap and very extensive. Makes me wonder whether mkingdom2 has every left the States let alone visited London!!

jody Jul 9th, 2004 10:22 AM

No lifes at South Ken just 2 short flights of stairs and usually crowds to push thru!

jody Jul 9th, 2004 10:24 AM

Sorry that is LIFTS..what is your hotel, it may be further than you thik!

m_kingdom2 Jul 9th, 2004 10:37 AM

Very few London residents appreciate the tube, it's not comfortable, it's not luxurious, it's not clean.

As for Aircars2000's prices - give them a call, ask for Iain Meyer and explain your requirements and that you'll be paying cash - he should offer it to you for 40GBP cash.