Getting into Athens from the airport

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Getting into Athens from the airport

Since the metro is under construction and the X95 bus seems to be the way to go, for public transportation, has anyone recently taken a taxi into Athens?
We will be arriving Friday afternoon and are wondering how much it might cost to take a taxi. Over on greektravel,com, Matt says it's about $35, which sounds pretty reasonable.
Does anyone have any recent experience?
TY
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:15 AM

That's 35 Euros not dollars of course.

Your choice, but the bus takes no longer and costs a lot less. Even when the metro is running the bus is usually quicker by all accounts.

Rob
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

We are staying in the Plaka area, very close to the Acropolis and the Temple of Zeus. Should we take the X95 bus to Syntagma Square then?
TY
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:17 AM

I would. €3.20 each to Syntagma. There are many hotels in that area, most easily walkable, which hotel is it?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:59 AM

Friday Afternoon into Athens on a bus or in a taxi? That sounds to me like a long trip, and an expensive one in a metered taxi. It's not the best time of day to be entering the city. Rush hour traffic will be terrible.

Even though the Airport Blue Line Metro isn't running into the city the Suburban Railway still is. Take it to the Neratziotissa Station, buy a Metro ticket and take the Green Line Metro from Neratziotissa to either the Attiki or Omonia Station. From these you can transfer to the Red Line Metro to the Syntagma Station or the Akropoli Station, depending on which station is closer to your hotel. I believe the Akropoli Station is closer to the Temple of Zeus.