Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   getting from Verona to Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/getting-from-verona-to-venice-522523/)

aspalm Apr 19th, 2005 03:46 PM

getting from Verona to Venice

I was hoping to be able to attend an opera in Verona, but I am concerned that I will have difficulty getting back to Venice (and my hotel) at that time of night. Do the trains run that late?

Also, can anyone suggest places in venice or vicinity for open-air musical performances in June? Genre is not as important as atmosphere! Thanks!

feltoni Apr 19th, 2005 04:05 PM

Check the trenitalia.it website for the schedule. I took a midnight-ish train from Verona to Vicenza [it went on to Venice] a few yrs. ago. Also, there is a Roman amphitheater in Verona that has lots of live stuff. I was lucky to catch Miles Davis there once... It wasn't opera, but it was cool.

aspalm Apr 19th, 2005 04:30 PM

thanks for the quick response! looking at trenitalia.it, it appears the latest trains leave at 10:20 or so from Verona to Venice. for an opera starting at 9:15 this is obviously not going to work. any solutions or suggested alternatives out there?

LoveItaly Apr 19th, 2005 06:46 PM

Hi aspalm I do not know what your budget can handle but I sure understand your wanting to attend an opera in Verona.

Is there any chance that you could afford the least expensive room you can find in Verona. Just a place to sleep in so to speak after the opera. And then catch the morning train back to Venice where you would still have your hotel room and luggage (just take a small bag with you for your trip to Verona).

I can't think of any other way for you to do this unless you checked out of your Venice hotel, checked into a hotel in Verona and then check backed into a hotel in Venice the day after the opera but that seems like a workout.

Guess another thought is if you could rent a car for 24 hours, drive from Venice to Verona and then drive back to Venice the next day and return the rental car. Have no idea how the cost of this would be vs just renting a room in Verona for the one night. The drive would be an easy one.

Sure hope you can work this out. Seeing the opera in Verona would be fantastic. Best wishes.

Holly_uncasdewar Apr 19th, 2005 08:02 PM

Did you check to see what time the first trains are out of Verona after midnight?

LoveItaly Apr 19th, 2005 08:11 PM

Hi Holly, good idea but the schedule shows that the trains to Venice don't leave Verona until around 5:00am or after.

Holly_uncasdewar Apr 19th, 2005 08:31 PM

What time do the bars close in Verona?

aspalm Apr 19th, 2005 08:38 PM

does anyone know if there is a bus that runs between the two cities? Although I imagine that would also be tough to find at that time of night...

LoveItaly Apr 19th, 2005 09:32 PM

Hi aspalm, I went onto google. There is not a bus that goes to Venice. Good thought though.

Sure hope you can work this out. Do think about trying to find an inexpensive place to stay overnight in Verona. If you can handle this budget wise (and take the train to and from Verona) think that that would be the easiest and best way to work this problem out.

Intrepid1 Apr 20th, 2005 12:58 AM

We had the same problem with the transportation from Verona back to Venice late at night (after a performance at the Arena) so apparently not much has changed..unless you can find a very late bus, plan to stay up until 5:00 AM, or rent a cheap room...sigh!!!

ira Apr 20th, 2005 04:27 AM

Hi as,

Is renting a car an option?

aspalm Apr 20th, 2005 06:41 AM

ira: unfortunately, I checked and renting a car is a $175 option. ouch.

J62 Apr 20th, 2005 06:46 AM

If you don't want to pay for a room in both Venice & Verona, you may be able to check out of your Venice hotel for the one night but leave you luggage there. That way you would only have to take a small overnight bag to Verona with you.

aspalm Apr 20th, 2005 06:47 AM

actually, I am now seeing rentals for around $120/day. is this the price I should expect to pay for one day!? I am being limited by my need for an automatic vs. manual, I think.