Getting from Venice to Ljubljana??

Apr 26th, 2019, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Getting from Venice to Ljubljana??

What is the fastest way to travel from Venice to Ljubljana or should I just stay in Trieste?
Apr 26th, 2019, 06:31 AM

I looked at a few options when we did that journey (although I was going to Lake Bled).

The trains are somewhat problematic as there is a train change requirement because the track gauge is different. It's also not at the same station to do the swap so it means that you need to take a bus or a taxi to get to the station on the Slovenia side.

We ended up going with a private transfer and driver which was very relaxing. Google 'Go Opti', that's who I went with and I thought the prices were very competitive considering the convenience. Hire cars were a bit expensive unless you are going to return it back to Italy as well (we weren't on our trip).

Finally, I would choose Ljubljana over Trieste every day of the week!
Apr 26th, 2019, 06:50 AM
J62

you can also take a bus which is likely to be nearly as fast as a private transfer but much cheaper.
I got this info from rometorio.com - it looks like flixbus is the operator

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Venice/Ljubljana

Apr 26th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Trip getting from Venice to Ljubljana

thanks for the information. I also looked up rental cars and it looks like according to autoeurope website I can rent a car from Venice to Ljubljana fairly cheap. Iíll look at my three options.
Apr 26th, 2019, 10:19 AM

Trieste I thought was a real sleeper - restored in last years - I would try to make a brief stop there -

Train to Trieste (brief look around?) then bus to Ljun takes just under 5 hours from Venice to Lju.)

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?ld=38211&country=GBR&protocol=httpsrt=1&OK#fo cus

For lots on trains and buses check -
www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

The direct Venice-Lju buses described in post above seems to be best.
Apr 30th, 2019, 08:31 AM

Goopti is an excellent service and if you book well in advance it is not that expensive (and faster than the bus or train.) If you do decide to rent a car, make sure to pick up a vignette at the Slovenian border if the car does not already have one.

But my choice these days would always be goopti - https://www.goopti.com/en/
Apr 30th, 2019, 11:20 AM

There is of course no gauge change at Gorizia, but buses are faster anyway.
Apr 30th, 2019, 12:13 PM

We, also, had a good experience with goopti. We ended up booking a private trip but their group rates were quite reasonable.
May 1st, 2019, 11:01 AM

Trieste is a wonderful city and only an hour drive to Ljubljana. There are also many other gorgeous sites in Slovenia that are even closer to Trieste.
May 1st, 2019, 01:33 PM

There are at leat 2 or 3 bus service providers from Trieste to Ljubljana, taking about 1.5hrs. And also a train, which takes longer. Or you can go via Gorizia/Nova Gorica. In addition, of course to all the suggestions above.

Both Trieste and Ljubljana are beautiful cities - and entirely different to each other so it's personal preference.
May 1st, 2019, 02:10 PM

Do watch out for the quote from AutoEurope. They are pretty up front about it when you initiate on line booking but the one way drop drop from one country to another can be very high. It will show the following message: "Rental car suppliers sometimes have restrictions or additional fees for rentals picked up and dropped off in different locations, often to be paid locally. Should a one way fee be applicable, the final price and one way fee cannot be calculated until you choose a specific pick-up and drop-off location. The final costs will be displayed on the booking form prior to payment." So you have to go through the most of the steps to be sure. And then there is gas and tolls.

For our trip next week from Venice airport to Trieste we are using a shared shuttle through GoOpti. There is a two hour window for the booking. For two people with a 5 euro coupon I found on line we are paying 29 euro (total for us both). GoOpti also offers private shuttles. For our same date I just looked up private and for the two of us would be 100 euro (refundable) or 84 euro (non refundable).