Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from the Hilton Garden Inn in Florence to the airport (3km)

Oct 31st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

I have been on the website and there is no reference to a shuttle. Is there a bus or is a taxi reasonably easy to find early (0630)? I would prefer to surrender a rental car the night before the flight.

If anyone has stayed there, may I have your opinion? TA reviews are pretty uniformly good.

Thank you!
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:02 PM

I just stayed at the HGI Florence earlier this month. It is very nice and extremely clean! All recently refurbished and the shower heads in the bathroom are fantastic!!! Beds are the sleep number type! Hotel staff is very pleasant and helpful! There is also a supermarket close by to stock up on wine, soda, etc. for your room. The only drawback is its proximity to old town... you have to take a 20 minute bus ride.

If you plan to have a rental car (no need for it for your Florence stay), there is a Europcar location only a few blocks from the hotel where you can drop it. Try kemwel.com for best rates.

I'd take a taxi to the airport. You can have the hotel arrange it the night before. But, if you have the rental car, I'd then take it and drop it at the airport.

Not to be nosy but if you let us know why you are renting a car, we may have other suggestions.
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:12 PM

Hello cmcfong, I sure haven't stayed there but is this where you have your reservation for the night before your fight home? If so, note that a taxi from the hotel to the airport is 7 euro. No doubt the hotel will make the arrangements for the taxi the night before.

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en...tyhocn=FLRNVGI
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, joannyc. Nosy is OK, I am still figuring this trip out. We aren't committed to renting a car. We will be hiking in the CT/Portofino area. The rental company for the villa has suggested a car. Since there are five of us, I am still weighing the options and would welcome (happily) any suggestions you might have.

LoveItaly, thank you for the suggestion. I am glad to be rid of the rental car (if we get one) the night before. Minimize that last morning hassle and rush.
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM

Since there are 5 in your group, you'll need a pretty large rental car for you and the luggage. Cars in Italy can be somewhat expensive.

But, check the prices on kemwel.com to compare car rental cost (you'll only need it for one day for the drive from Portofino to Florence) to what the train from Portofino to Florence and 2 cabs from the Florence train station to the hotel will cost (I don't think you'll all fit in one).

Have to add... there are no nice views from the hotel. But it does have free internet access in the business center. Are you staying there using points? That's the only reason I stayed there... if I were paying, I'd stay somewhere closer to the old town (with 5 people, I'd rent an apartment).

If you decide to rent the car, drop it off after you check into the hotel. No need to incur extra expenses.
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:57 PM

Oops... looks like you have to take a bus from Portofino to Santa Margherita Ligure and catch the train to Florence from there. So, add the additional time and expense into your comparsion to car rental prices.

Have a great time! I really wanted to go to CT but just didn't have enough time... I was in Italy for 21 nights!
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

We are renting a villa in the CT area and will only be doing our last night in Florence. You are right, the hotel doesn't look like a good choice for an extended stay.

We have different flight times all of which are pretty early am. We plan to spend a good part of the last night eating at a fabulous restaurant in Florence (open to suggestions)so no problem with lack of a view.
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:15 PM

Leo's in San Croce (Via Torta, 7r, closed Monday) and Cinghale Bianco (make a reservation as I did not and was told to come back in one hour which was OK by me!, in the Oltarno district) were my favorite Florence restaurants.

I wanted to eat at Ristorante la Martinicca on Via del Sole but it was packed and I didn't have a reservation so was sadly turned away.
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful! Thank you for the suggestions.